2005 Dodge Ram 1500 opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey, good morning all

I just wanted some opinions from the community. Im looking at buying a truck, and it just so happens that the only one on my radar is an 05 1500 extended cab with 150k. This truck is beautiful. Its in perfect shape (minus the bed being scratch to all H*ll) I know what KBB, nada, edmunds says its worth, and know what the market yields.
Some other info-- Its coming with a bed cap, tonue cover, chrome bed rails and a superchips tuner.

So right now hes at 10k for it all. The extras dont really add any value and the truck is bone stock otherwise. Its been owned by a Mazda mechanic for the last 7 years/80k miles and VERY well maintained.

Im just looking for some input-- concerns i should be looking out for, problems with trucks of this year, and whether this is a decent deal like i think it is. Thanks guys

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Hey, good morning all

I just wanted some opinions from the community. Im looking at buying a truck, and it just so happens that the only one on my radar is an 05 1500 extended cab with 150k. This truck is beautiful. Its in perfect shape (minus the bed being scratch to all H*ll) I know what KBB, nada, edmunds says its worth, and know what the market yields.
Some other info-- Its coming with a bed cap, tonue cover, chrome bed rails and a superchips tuner.

So right now hes at 10k for it all. The extras dont really add any value and the truck is bone stock otherwise. Its been owned by a Mazda mechanic for the last 7 years/80k miles and VERY well maintained.

Im just looking for some input-- concerns i should be looking out for, problems with trucks of this year, and whether this is a decent deal like i think it is. Thanks guys
Sounds like a good deal. Need more info, options, engine, 4x4?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a good deal. Need more info, options, engine, 4x4?

Yep, slt, 4x4, electric transfer, infinity sound, electric trailer brake controller, hemi 5.7. Needs tires on Stock chrome rims. Cloth seats, sliding rear window...power heated mirrors...I think that's pretty much it

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Sounds like a decent truck. As for value, it depends on your region really. So don't expect someone from NJ to see that as a deal, but someone in AZ or Texas who are in truck markets, might want to buy that off of you for that price just to make $5K haha

Sounds good.

2005 was the last year before they went to newer grill and headlights. They changed a lot in the 2006 model, but sounds like it's a solid truck, think the only thing was a lifter issue I can recall.

Keep up on the oil changes and spark plugs (champion cooper plugs only!!) every 30K and you should be good.

Get the bed sprayed and it will clean up those scratches.

OP
OP
C

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in TN right now, and the truck prices are really inflated. And what's worse is a lot of the trucks are 2wd junk. And they thinks it's gold. This one isn't that, I guess I'm trying trying to wrap my head around it since I've been out of the truck game for a while

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a 12 year old truck with 150k+ miles. Unknown condition really, needs tires, scratches in paint. You want to pay $9,000, so you offer $8,500, he'll counter qt $9,500, but you say you need money to get tires so you'll pay $9,000. I paid $11,000 for my truck when it was 8 ir 9 years old with under 100k miles. Tires were decent.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My 2nd gen truck was pretty dang reliable at 140K miles. I did have to do suspension bushings, new exhaust manifold bolts and a few other minor fixes while I owned it.

Good luck!

PS: usaf2006 said $8500 'cause he's cheap...and I totally agree with the number as I am too! :D

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
PS: usaf2006 said $8500 'cause he's cheap...and I totally agree with the number as I am too! :D

You're darn right I'm cheap! I buy vehicles as cheap as I can, even if that means I don't end up getting the one I want, because you never know how much you'll have to put into it. A lot of things can go around after 100k miles, especially after 150k.

So far I've done struts, tires, water pump & thermostat, battery, etc. All that adds up after a while, and when multiple things go wrong at once it's frustrating, especially if you're still making a payment on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well Ive gone to look at this truck 3 times now. Its in great condition, and owned by a mechanic. Now, most of the time I'd be a little scheptical, but hes as upfront and honest as you can be and seems like a really good dude. I have full confidence all maintenance was preformed, and he actually did just replace the water pump.

I guess im just second guessing whether I can find a better deal if i had more time to look

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Well Ive gone to look at this truck 3 times now. Its in great condition, and owned by a mechanic. Now, most of the time I'd be a little scheptical, but hes as upfront and honest as you can be and seems like a really good dude. I have full confidence all maintenance was preformed, and he actually did just replace the water pump.

I guess im just second guessing whether I can find a better deal if i had more time to look
Ya I paid 7,800 for my 02 with 140,000 on it, you always want to try to negotiate but it sounds like a decent deal.

VF_Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I paid 7,200 for my 04 QC long bed with 160,000 on it. Did ball joints brakes, exhaust and some other stuff. Some not needed but. If I'm in there and have to remove it I'm replacing as well just to be safe and not have to get at it again.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

coolbikeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i guess i did pretty good buying my slt 4x4 5.7 when it was 7 yrs old with 110000 for 10k its just now needing some work that ill hopefully do this summer :)

OP
OP
C

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i guess i did pretty good buying my slt 4x4 5.7 when it was 7 yrs old with 110000 for 10k its just now needing some work that ill hopefully do this summer :)

Ya id say you got quite the deal. So just as an update we settled on 9k. All things considered, I dont think it was the deal of a lifetime like yours, but it wasn't bad. Definitely a fair trade all things considered. What really sold me was the guys honesty and mechanical knowledge. He took alot of pride in this truck, and has the access and means to really take care of her since 70k. Considering it really only needs tires in reality, and by putting some matching used tires I could easily get my money back out of it. Then selling all the extra bull for a few hundred a piece, I really do feel it was a fair deal that favored me by at least a little bit.