2005 Laramie 5.9 Carfax Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jb772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Hey guys, I found a one owner 2005 Dodge 2500 laramie for sale on Craigslist that seems to be in great condition inside and out, literally not a scratch or dent on the outside or a rip or stain on the inside. He?s asking $22,000 for the truck.
Just like always, I ran a carfax on the vehicle. As far as the title checks out, it shows clean and one owner as advertised, however, it shows a mileage inconsistency and is labeled as an ST/SLT.

How accurate is Carfax and should I be worried about these two minor/major flaws? Any way to 110% actually tell? Over the phone it sounds like an older gentleman that?s selling the truck but that means nothing now a days I guess.

Images that I screen shotted attached to the post. I apologize if they are small I am writing this from my phone.

I?d be traveling about 7 hours to go purchase this vehicle so I want to be 110% sure I?m going to buy it before I waste my time. Obviously I can?t avoid the obvious though by not looking at it myself before making a final decision.

Attachments

• CF0A0E36-3719-4854-AC6A-656C3FB79EAA.jpg
    CF0A0E36-3719-4854-AC6A-656C3FB79EAA.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 16
  • AC04C7AD-C3CB-48AB-9143-6682C44F7AF0.jpg
    AC04C7AD-C3CB-48AB-9143-6682C44F7AF0.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 2741D5B7-C336-4900-8478-CBA9E9687188.jpg
    2741D5B7-C336-4900-8478-CBA9E9687188.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 16

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
If you have the VIN you can get the build sheet from Dodge. I apologize I didn't save the URL when I got the build sheet for mine, but I'm sure someone will have and post it for you.

Mike

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah as far as i know laramie is just a trim package, the actual model is still a SLT. For example my truck is just a SLT on title, or for 90% of parts ordering its just a SLT, however it is a big horn edition... the big horn is just a extra trim package added onto the SLT.

As far as the mileage goes, nothing looks inconsistent about it to me... all mileage reports looks consistent and matching... just looks like for the first 4-5 years he drove it about a average amount for back then and then stopped driving it as a daily as right at the 2009ish mark you can see he only put 20k on it in the next 5 years. So technically that makes it inconsistent but in real life no not at all, just probably stopped using it as a DD or retired at that time or whatever the case may be

OP
OP
J

jb772

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Yeah as far as i know laramie is just a trim package, the actual model is still a SLT. For example my truck is just a SLT on title, or for 90% of parts ordering its just a SLT, however it is a big horn edition... the big horn is just a extra trim package added onto the SLT.

As far as the mileage goes, nothing looks inconsistent about it to me... all mileage reports looks consistent and matching... just looks like for the first 4-5 years he drove it about a average amount for back then and then stopped driving it as a daily as right at the 2009ish mark you can see he only put 20k on it in the next 5 years. So technically that makes it inconsistent but in real life no not at all, just probably stopped using it as a DD or retired at that time or whatever the case may be

The mileage on the carfax says the DMV noted it as 99,000 last month but the speedometer shows 92,000 miles in the Craigslist picture.

RAMVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the link! I had no idea something like this even existed.

Not a problem! Definitely a handy tool to see what came with your truck.
In this case, A LOT came with this truck. Looks like it has just about every option you could get in 2005.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The mileage on the carfax says the DMV noted it as 99,000 last month but the speedometer shows 92,000 miles in the Craigslist picture.

o ok i gotcha... i wouldnt really worry about it but thats just me. Just ask whats up with it see what he says. But the carfax shows the mileage inconsistent long before now and at that point i dont see anything out of the orinary except it stopped racking miles up. Easily could just be a mistake by him or a clerk at dmv but who knows. Good luck either way

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A

The DMV takes what's written and doesn't verify the actual odometer. It could be simply a typo. Regarding the picture, it's possible the pic is older, like they tried to sell it previously and just relisted it with an old pic. I don't know how hard or easy it is to tamper with the odometer but I do know it's illegal though.

Carfax is only as accurate as what is actually reported to them. Not all dealers and service stations report (bit many do because I heard Carfax pays for reported info). So it's possible it could have had major or minor repairs done that Carfax is dark about. Same deal with accident history. If it was unreported, Carfax wouldn't know.