2006 frt diff with ifs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ike43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
when in 4hi how much frt wheel binding should there be when turning at low speed on dry pavement, mine seems excessive, on these ifs frt diffs isnt there spider gears in the carrier do prevent this like in the rear diff?

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
that might be the problem, 4 hi is getting out of mud and stuff. just compare it to driving a 4 wheeler on pavement, it does the exact same thing. not intended for pavement

OP
OP
ike43

ike43

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i know you shouldnt but just wondering about how the ifs diff works , if there are spider gears or they act like a posi , my truck will barely move when in 4hi and wheel slightly turned

LoadedLaramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ive noticed mine have done that before too even in 2hi. i hardly use 4wd because i dont need it (even in the mud half the time i stay in 2wd).

but at very tight turns it acts likes it binds up.

I know why mine does it and yours maybe differant but mine has the 246 T-case which has the auto system. it has an actuator on the front that may be going in and out of engagement in your front end. 4wd still isnt activated tho because the T-case isnt engaged. so its just like the front diff is engaged. but again. mine only does it when backing up at VERY tight turns.

Shiloh 24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
Spider gears don't make a posi diff, the spider gears work inside of the carrier to give the axle an open differential action. Therefore one wheel could be spinning and the other could just be sitting there. This allows for quite a bit better handling but not so much for traction. A posi diff has to have either clutch packs kinda like an auburn or a gear setup like detroit trutracs. Plus last but not least, don't use 4wd on dry pavement lol

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're trashing your diff by doing that. Plan on an expensive rebuild if you keep it up.