2006 info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattgalbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been driving the same 2002 2wd 4.7 ram since it was new. She's been a great truck except the rear end its junk but it's only a 1/2 ton .
Looking at a newer 2006- 2500 thunder road 4x4 with a 5.7 . It's got 155k on it looks to be well taken care of & a pretty clean truck they want 10k$ for it .
What should I worry about if anything?
Thanks in advance Dodge Brothers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwin1845

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Suspension components such as ball joints, ujoints, bushings in the control arms and track bar and not to mention tie rods. These things will cost you a pretty penny to have replaced. Mine as well get the dealer to do it before you buy.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wasn't aware they used any of the names (Lonestar, Thunder Road, Big Horn) on a 3/4 tone. You sure it's a 3/4 ton?

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wasn't aware they used any of the names (Lonestar, Thunder Road, Big Horn) on a 3/4 tone. You sure it's a 3/4 ton?

2500's came in all 3 flavors you listed. I believe Thunder Road was for the Northeast, Lone Star is TX, and Big Horn is everywhere else.

40651662.jpg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2500's came in all 3 flavors you listed. I believe Thunder Road was for the Northeast, Lone Star is TX, and Big Horn is everywhere else.

40651662.jpg

Oh I knew the locations, I have just never seen one in anything other than a 1500 lol. Learn something new every day.

OP
OP
mattgalbo

mattgalbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I decided against that truck but still looking for the right 2500 4x4 with out having to sell my house to buy one . Man new trucks are crazy prices these days .

OP
OP
mattgalbo

mattgalbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also ran a cross a 2006 2500 4x4 that was a Remington edition . Very nice truck

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Been driving the same 2002 2wd 4.7 ram since it was new. She's been a great truck except the rear end its junk but it's only a 1/2 ton .
Looking at a newer 2006- 2500 thunder road 4x4 with a 5.7 . It's got 155k on it looks to be well taken care of & a pretty clean truck they want 10k$ for it .
What should I worry about if anything?
Thanks in advance Dodge Brothers

I'm just wondering what you mean my the bolded and underlined part.

Do you mean, the engine doesn't have enough power, that it physically isn't capable of towing what you need, that the rear axle itself isn't strong enough for your needs or all of the above?

The reason I ask is, I've never heard it explained that way.

OP
OP
mattgalbo

mattgalbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm just wondering what you mean my the bolded and underlined part.

Do you mean, the engine doesn't have enough power, that it physically isn't capable of towing what you need, that the rear axle itself isn't strong enough for your needs or all of the above?

The reason I ask is, I've never heard it explained that way.

Then engine has been fine a little more power when towing a camper would be nice but over all has good power . I worked the truck towing & hauling construction materials, so a 3/4 ton would be better. The rear end on this truck has been trouble sine about 40k . It's been noisy and slipped . it has been apart 4 times . The fist time it was full of metal shavings, the bearing and gears were shot . I've had the axel bearings replaced 3 times & the gears once with heavy duty Yukon gears . Now the gears are trashed agin and Howell like crazy.
But besides the problems with the rear end . This truck has been great and never left me stranded. I've Only have had to do standard maintenance .

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Then engine has been fine a little more power when towing a camper would be nice but over all has good power . I worked the truck towing & hauling construction materials, so a 3/4 ton would be better. The rear end on this truck has been trouble sine about 40k . It's been noisy and slipped . it has been apart 4 times . The fist time it was full of metal shavings, the bearing and gears were shot . I've had the axel bearings replaced 3 times & the gears once with heavy duty Yukon gears . Now the gears are trashed agin and Howell like crazy.
But besides the problems with the rear end . This truck has been great and never left me stranded. I've Only have had to do standard maintenance .

You must be towing a lot, or maybe the axle shop didn't do that great of a job. You shouldn't have had that many axle problems, as long as you properly broke in the gears. When they did the gears, did you do a master install kit with it (replaces all the wear items)?

OP
OP
mattgalbo

mattgalbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You must be towing a lot, or maybe the axle shop didn't do that great of a job. You shouldn't have had that many axle problems, as long as you properly broke in the gears. When they did the gears, did you do a master install kit with it (replaces all the wear items)?

No not towing that much 12ft cargo trailer & 22 ft camper. Dodge did it the fist time & replaced everything. some else that's a great Mechanic did it 2 times & just axel bearings & used Amzoil severe gear and the additive.
Ya I just don't get it either make no sense .