2007 Ram 5.7 Hemi Wont turn over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtdouglas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Vehicle Specs
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew
5.7 Hemi
116,000 miles

Vehicle quit on me the other day while driving. With no warning or noise it just shut off. Now when you try to start the truck it makes a clunk and the lights go dim. Took the alternator, battery, and starter to Autozone and all tested perfect. Tried putting in neutral to start and bypass the park sensor and does the same thing. I was able to get it to start once after this happened and then it shut right back off after 5 minutes. All fluids are good and no check engine light comes on.

A little history, I just changed the head gaskets on the truck in September due to an overheating issue. It has ran great other that the oil pressure sensor being replaced last month. I am the second owner and have had it since 36,000 miles. To my knowledge nothing else has been replaced minus the routine maintenance.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated......
I am now leaning towards a ground issue or the engine being locked up. Any ideas on where to start would be awesome.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Don't wanna be the bearer of bad news, but a clunk and lights dimming tells me that something is locked up... sounds like a broken rod... Did sputter and clank then stop or just dead stop?

OP
OP
J

jtdouglas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No noises before hand or anything. Just died. Wheels didnt lock up the engine just cut out completely

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
No noises before hand or anything. Just died. Wheels didnt lock up the engine just cut out completely

Man, I'm lost, have you checked oil, belt or if something is up in the pulley's? Maybe the belt broke and wrapped.

Edit: I over read that you got it to start again, so I would say (like below) that starter could possibly be seized.

Last edited:

100MPG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Looking around
Engine
none
I was able to get it to start once after this happened and then it shut right back off after 5 minutes.

so the engine is not blown. Doesn't sound like a bad head gasket because it would not start again. If you try it with the key and it don't turn over, put a breaker bar on the crank, or somehow try to turn the engine over.

I wonder if it could be the starter anyway, it *could* be possible to show a problem only when under a load.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye