2 problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindover84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hi all I have 2 sep problems 1st is I smoke when taking off from a stop light cold or warm it looks white but im not losing any water or oil and no check engine light it runs fine 2nd is a hard shift from 1st to 2nd gear ive done a tranny service and no shavings in pan its a 2002 ram 1500 5.2 any suggestions. it has almost 200,00 miles not over heating its strange ive had the shifting problem before it went away after replacing tps sensor about a year ago both just started about 3 months ago ty for any heip on these subjects

OP
OP
M

mindover84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hi all I have 2 sep problems 1st is I smoke when taking off from a stop light cold or warm it looks white but im not losing any water or oil and no check engine light it runs fine 2nd is a hard shift from 1st to 2nd gear ive done a tranny service and no shavings in pan its a 2002 ram 1500 5.2 any suggestions. it has almost 200,00 miles not over heating its strange ive had the shifting problem before it went away after replacing tps sensor about a year ago both just started about 3 months ago ty for any heip on these subjects
iam a mechanic by trade but ive never ran across this before so im just seeing if any one else had ty.

OP
OP
M

mindover84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
no that's whats strange haven't had to put any fluids in and it drives great and the only time I see smoke is after I take off from a stop light its not a bunch of smoke but enough to see it and I don't smell fuel oil or anti freeze

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm wondering if it's the valve seals starting to go bad.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
That smoke may be normal. When any engine is running in tip top condition it will create a small amount of water vapor that can come out the tailpipe as what looks like white smoke. it is way more noticeable in cold weather than warm weather though. The hard shifting might be normal, but you may want to check the vaccum hoses to be sure all of them are not dry-rotted.

Adept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
No idea, maybe too much oil... i've heard that causes white smoke. but hey...

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the old days, not to date myself, auto trannies used to have a vacuum modulator. Essentially a diaphragm can similar to the vacuum advance cans with tranny fluid on one side and vacuum on the other. When they started to go, white smoke city from the tranny fluid getting into the intake manifolds. Not sure if these new fangled trannies have anything similar.

OP
OP
M

mindover84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thank you every one for your info the problem was a bad pcv vavle the hard shifting is still going on but with almost 200,000 miles I suspect the tranny is going bad so I hope this will help others with same problem

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Glad you got a handle on the PCV problem, as for hard shifting, maybe TV cable adjustment?? WAG