2nd hid kit from retro, same problem, what the hell!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
my truck literally hates me. Hid lights recently started acting up after months of flawless operation. Only with the truck running, the highs will blink 4 or 5 times then go out, lows work like normal. Turn truck off and both work like normal. Did some troubleshooting with retro and found out i have a resistor that isn't being seen, only one is getting warm with both highs and lows. Figured what the hell, was thinking about upgrading to 55w instead of 35w anyways, so i just bought a whole new digital kit from Jeremy. Just installed it tonight, checked everything 3 or 4 times. Fired them up, great they work!! Not, as soon as i start the truck the highs blink and go out, same exact damn problem, lows working like normal. About at my witt's end with hid's

OP
OP
hemi1300

hemi1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
only other thing i can possibly think of, could a weak battery cause this? Truck shows no signs of being weak, but the battery is 5 yrs old now and i have never replaced it

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I have a "possessed devil truck" according to JJ. Mine were working fine and then started to flicker, now they refuse to come on. So, with some help, I'll start testing the system. I know I have no problems upstream in the stock system (I plugged a stock halogen bulb into the unused passenger side plug and it came on just fine) and see if I can't isolate the problem. It may be a ground, it could be one of the resistors, etc...just gotta get through the testing process.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
ARGH! Kills me!

The 06-08s are by far the most annoying when it comes to HIDs. Luckily, the guys at RS know them like the back of their hands. One of these days I would LOVE to have the troubleshooting knowledge that they have!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'm keeping track of their suggestions, the test process, the fault area and the fix.

Todd's been very helpful and great to work with. If I was closer, I'm he'd just tear into it and fix the issue pretty quickly.