2x4 conversion to 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Terrance

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 &1977
Engine
6.7 ******'s & 318 W100
Has anyone done this? Everywhere I look everyone says it'll be cheaper to buy a 4x4 I'm planning on keeping my truck for awhile I put to much money into it that I'm not going to get back. What would I need to do this? I was thinking of going to a junk yard and just pull all the part's I'll need. Will I need to do some serious fabrication to make this work? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would suggest doing a solid axle swap while you are at it. Take it to a good 4x4 shop and talk to them. It will be a TON of money... You could buy a junk 4x4 of the same year that was rear ended. Then do the swap and sell the junker.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
This isn't a conversion to be done lightly, there is a LOT of work involved, you need a dedicated parts truck and the fab skills to do the work. In almost every case that this has come up in the past the owner has sold the truck and bought a 4wd for the same or slightly more than the truck they're looking to mod.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well, you would need a new tranny...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Now he wouldn't. He would need to remove the 2wd tailshaft and replace it with a 4wd adapter plate, then bolt a transfer case to it. Same trans, 2wd or 4wd.
That being said, I agree with it being better overall just to trade/sell your 2wd if you really want a 4wd.

xXAvroArrowXx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now he wouldn't. He would need to remove the 2wd tailshaft and replace it with a 4wd adapter plate, then bolt a transfer case to it. Same trans, 2wd or 4wd.
That being said, I agree with it being better overall just to trade/sell your 2wd if you really want a 4wd.

I was making a lame attempt at a joke. Turning a girl into a guy..... Tranny.....

Never mind. Yeah... So anyway. If you'd count your time as being worth X amount of dollars, you'll find that the cost of parts and your labor blow way over cost to buy a 4x4 similar to your 2x4.... I unless its one of those cases where you're wanting to tinker with it and take it as a challenge.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Easier and cheaper to just get a 4wd. Way too much work and fabrication to do, not to mention that the frames might be different between the 4wd and the 2wd.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I say you should put a Dana 60 in there out of a 2nd gen Ram. I think it would be too legit to quit.

oldskool83

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If any of ya'll build anything ground up it's gonna take more time and money then even budgeting for. Sell the 2wd but a 4x4. No one in their right mind will buy a used 2wd converted to 4x4 truck.

Do you really need 4x4, 90% of us who buy them don't. Want to offroad your truck and waste it...but an atv.

OP
OP
Terrance

Terrance

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 &1977
Engine
6.7 ******'s & 318 W100
I didn't think it to much to convert the truck over, maybe a little fabricating and thought everything else might bolt on. I'll be better off buying an old Chevy to beat up. Thanks for the responses!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ALOT easier to do with something that isn't carrying a computer network. Plus old truck you wouldn't have to swap a t-bar suspension in place of your coils (which includes LCAs). Plus I believe there is a computer input for that even if it's a manual shift t-case.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ALOT easier to do with something that isn't carrying a computer network. Plus old truck you wouldn't have to swap a t-bar suspension in place of your coils (which includes LCAs). Plus I believe there is a computer input for that even if it's a manual shift t-case.

If it is like the wranglers (I have the same manual trans as my old wrangler did), the transfer case input is just for the 4wd indicator on the dash. My sensor stopped working in the wrangler and I never replaced it.