3rd gen regret

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Had it checked. Bought it from my father. Didn't realize the extent of the 4.7 issues. It still runs, runs real good actually but...has the cold clack, the intermittent oil pressure drop, found wicked amounts of sludge present doing exploratory surgery and it's got just over 100k which from what I've read is where they typically let go. I need reliability and dependability, period. I do not trust this motor. Until you really research this particular motor, on the surface it has the illusion of being a good running motor for the mileage. As of right now I'm leaning towards putting a new, upgraded 4.7 in it. I might change my mind tomorrow. I hafta crunch numbers and weigh the pros against cons of keeping it and doing a motor or trying to get rid of it and getting something else, which could be another entirely new set of headaches and stress. I have fallen in love with this truck, everything about it other than the 4.7 nonsense is great but bottom line is dependability and investment ($$$).

better than an early ''northstar motor''......those are the worst.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
My only regret with my truck is that it is a standard cab. If I could go back and redo my purchase I would get the extended cab at least.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I regret being too ignorant back in 2005 when dad bought his 02 4.7. Wish I had known what I do now, coulda had a Hemi. :laughing1:

C'mon DD,......there are plenty hemi's out there......and you have plenty a time to finagle a deal.....:headbang:

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
A truck is only as good as it has been taken care of. Its not always the trucks fault.

Sent from my Nexus 7 tablet using Tapatalk

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
C'mon DD,......there are plenty hemi's out there......and you have plenty a time to finagle a deal.....:headbang:
lol Oh well, this one is paid off. Besides, at the time, we couldn't find any newer a truck that was in as good a shape as this one for $16k.
A truck is only as good as it has been taken care of. Its not always the trucks fault.

Sent from my Nexus 7 tablet using Tapatalk
Tru dat! Not a single issue with dad's 4.7. Just steering racks. :signs8:

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I regret being too ignorant back in 2005 when dad bought his 02 4.7. Wish I had known what I do now, coulda had a Hemi. :laughing1:

Keep in mind that according to the engineers, the 4.7 is "almost" a Hemi...ha ha!

mrfyram1500

2024 1500 Laramie
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
any chance of a spray on fix?? What exactly happens??

If I remember correctly, the plastic doors break at the pivot point where the actuator motors connect. The doors are stuck in one position and airflow is restricted. Different doors perform different functions (don't remember which do what). In some cases the dash needs to be pulled, a/c evacuated, and heater core disconnected. The Heater Treater site has info on how to diagnose which door or doors need to be replaced as well as how to replacement videos.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
not looking forward to a failure.....I try an use all the settings in a given season thou.....hope it helps..

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I don't know if this helps but I always leave the setting alone until the temperature is up. But on the other hand I don't drive the truck every day especially when it is nasty out.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Our '07 1500 w/ 5.7 has been great. Just rolled 100k miles with minimal "routine" maintenance and the only thing other than interior wear, is that it is starting to burn a little more oil between changes.

To answer the O/P's question specifically, the only thing that are minor annoyances that are NOT related to it being a 2500 / Power Wagon like the '13 I am comparing it to, are that the 1500 is only a Quad Cab, rather than a true Crew Cab. That, and the MDS that is on the 1500.

Now, those could be Pro's or Con's depending on the owner and what they intend to do with it. Some don't need the interior room, so the CQ could be fine. Some also like the MDS for the fuel savings it provides. And fortunately, that can be defeated if it really became an issue.

Other than that the 3rd Gens are fine trucks. They are quite a bit easier to see forward out of if short, or while off roading, as the 4th Gen has more of a longer, squared off looking hood from the driver seat, while the 3rd Gen is a bit more stubby and rounds off over the headlights. So at odd angles, like cresting a steep incline, the 3rd Gen is much easier to see out of.

In a street driven truck I suppose that would mean little, unless you are watching for short kids crossing the X-Walk in front of you or something.

Lol.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I have no regrets.....bought it at a price........had it 4 years.....I could sell it with ease at the same price..........how many cars can say the same thing.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
thats good......not permanent...lol.

SeaWolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey folks, I'm new to the forum and this thread is on point for me.

I am going to go look at an 03 1500 QC SLT 4x4 tomorrow. It only has 54k original miles with the 5.7L. Its a 1 owner with a clean title and history. Seller is asking $15k for it but I am ready to negotiate. Anyone have any strong opinions if this is a good deal? I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Anything in particular I should look for to determine if its a winner?

FWIW - I used to own an 02 Dakota SLT 4x4 with the 4.7L and miss that truck quite a bit, so I am definitely a Dodge fan.

Thanks for any advice!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Hey folks, I'm new to the forum and this thread is on point for me.

I am going to go look at an 03 1500 QC SLT 4x4 tomorrow. It only has 54k original miles with the 5.7L. Its a 1 owner with a clean title and history. Seller is asking $15k for it but I am ready to negotiate. Anyone have any strong opinions if this is a good deal? I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Anything in particular I should look for to determine if its a winner?

FWIW - I used to own an 02 Dakota SLT 4x4 with the 4.7L and miss that truck quite a bit, so I am definitely a Dodge fan.

Thanks for any advice!

Welcome to the forum, I would check the KBB and not pay more than that. The 03 is unique being the first year for the RAM hemi using the 1st gen NGC PCM. Do some research.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye