Is The 4.7 That Bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Masonrk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all, I am new to the forums, and Rams. My grandfather just gave me his 2005 1500 2WD 4.7, it only has 25,000mi on it though. As I was stalking the forums here, I noticed that the 4.7 has a very bad reputation.

My question is about what can go wrong with the 4.7 and what can I do to remedy/fix any common problems? Thanks!

PS. A trade in isn't a possibility, it has major sentimental value to me, as it is also disrespectful in my opinion to trade in a gift.

~Mason.

silver surfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMHO, for that price, you can't go wrong! Enjoy the truck. I had a 2001 Silverado 2wd with a 4.7. Pulled my 25' tt with no problem. Slow uphill, but made it.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
I had the same exact truck...2005 RCSB 1500 with the 4.7. Never gave me a seconds trouble. Not as much power as the hemi, but Your only 17. Enjoy the gift from your Grandpa.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They're fine.

Have one in my '02 Durango. I actually think it is slightly smoother running than my '12 Hemi.

It's just 'weaker' as compared to the Hemi. A bit more complicated if you need to actually work on it (i.e. timing chain) - but that's pretty much it.

Don't overheat it; they don't like that and will pop a headgasket if you do.

149k on my '02 with the 4.7.

OP
OP
Masonrk

Masonrk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They're fine.

Have one in my '02 Durango. I actually think it is slightly smoother running than my '12 Hemi.

It's just 'weaker' as compared to the Hemi. A bit more complicated if you need to actually work on it (i.e. timing chain) - but that's pretty much it.

Don't overheat it; they don't like that and will pop a headgasket if you do.

149k on my '02 with the 4.7.

Thank you for the caution on working under the hood. I'm not looking to do anything too invasive, I'd like to put in a KN Air Filter, and a muffler for now.

I also need to replace rear lights(one is cracked from grandpa jack-knifing his trailer!) I'd like to do much more but money constricts!

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They can be very reliable if maitnence is up to date, I got a friend whose dad bought a 07 4.7 ram brand new now he drives it an it's close to 250k miles. **** even has the stock trans in it too!!

reindeerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2002
Engine
I had a 3rd generation with the 4.7. Only engine problem was the exhaust manifold gaskets. Bought it with 50,000 miles and then put another 100,000 miles before selling it. I used it to tow a 5,000lb livestock trailer. I replaced it with a newer 4th generation and got the 4.7 again.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
Take good care of it and it will take good care of you. True for most any vehicle.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got a 4.7 in my ram and have 0 problems (knock on wood). As everyone says take care of her and you'll be good!

Ceri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've never heard that the 4.7 is a bad motor. It's not going to have the power of the 5.7, but they'll go 200k miles if you treat them right. The exhaust gaskets seem like a common problem. I had two and both had to replace the gasket around 100k miles, but that isn't anything too major. Free truck is a winner almost every time!

Colin_5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like most people said its not the Hemi but its still a great motor, just be glad it's not the v6 ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Make sure you don't overheat it and use a good a quality oil (synthetic would be better, but up to you and your wallet). Also make sure you get it up to temp so you burn off the condensation that collects in the oil and makes sludge. Though at only 25,000 miles that thing isn't really broken in yet lol.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
my sons 05 with 4.7 has 230k on it and runs strong as ever.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Synthetic oil is your friend and on sale it really doesn't cost that much more especially if you do your own oil changes.

I'm not a fan of 4.7's, I'm on the opposing side of most of this thread. I have seen sludge buildup in 4.7's that were well maintained and had oil changes at proper intervals.
The problem is there was a flaw (I consider it a flaw) in the piston/ combustion chamber that made the cylinder wall run at a higher temperature than conventional oil could stand. Slowly but surely the oil bakes, and drizzles off the sides and gathers in the windage tray, gets circulated by the system and starts clogging the oil return holes in the head and eventually the entire pickup screen and tube going from the screen to the oil pump. It sometimes can clog the pressure relief valve in the pump causing excessive oil pressure during high RPM's and none during low RPM's.

Synthetic oil might change all this as it does not bake as quickly as petro based oils. Synthetic oils were not as popular or inexpensive back when the 4.7 came out so most of them were an easy bake oven for conventional oil.

Mine never overheated and I still lost the head gaskets though it was past 170,000 miles. Aluminum heads, steel block, lots of heat during normal operating temps.

The excellent thing about this motor is it does seem to have a great horsepower to cube ratio. Mine is quick and tows just fine. Take care of all the issues as they happen if they happen and it will give you many smiles.

OP
OP
Masonrk

Masonrk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the heads up with oil. Of the many upgrades I would like to do, an oil change is first! Thanks guys! :favorites13:

05christj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have not had any problems with the 4.7, like others have said it's just terribly under powered which is why I am looking to trade it off.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ditto on the sludge fouling the oil pump pick-up. Around 145K miles my 2003 started knocking at cold start. Oil pump had to be changed and sludge removed from the sump.

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
mine was ok for power when I bought it, but if you want more power
1 - replacing the muffler with a glass pack(straight through) will get more power, I replaced cat back with duals - big power diff.
2 - e-fan conversion.
3 - programmer - you can feel the difference.

OP
OP
Masonrk

Masonrk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
mine was ok for power when I bought it, but if you want more power
1 - replacing the muffler with a glass pack(straight through) will get more power, I replaced cat back with duals - big power diff.
2 - e-fan conversion.
3 - programmer - you can feel the difference.

Funny enough; a Cherry Bomb muffler is high on my list!! :) however I need to make sure that I am legal, as in Connecticut laws are seriously stupid! I believe if your car is louder then 74 decibels at idle then you can get a misdemeanor...

Aries Rising

Reaction score
Ram Year
199?
Engine
Subscribed, for the mods discussed, and best wishes to Mason...and respect for his respect to his Grandpa :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye