4.7 mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK...so I've dome the intake...exhaust...gears...and programmer. Going to look into cams headers and possibly a larger throttle body. Does anyone have any other mod suggestions? I had been thinking about a full motor swap but I really don't have the money for that.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2008 intake swap seems to be good for some hp as well as what you have listed.

HO cams can run off superchips, but anymore agressive than that and you will need custom tuning with a diablo or sct, so you will need a wideband for that.

A torque converter will help recover some of the driveline losses.

Superchargers were talked about for the 4.7, but very few were made. You could always get an STS turbo kit, but then you will need custom tuning again.

Ported TB helps throttle reponse on the 4.7 a good bit. I have one by "The Fast Man" on my Durango, it really does help.

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK...so I've dome the intake...exhaust...gears...and programmer. Going to look into cams headers and possibly a larger throttle body. Does anyone have any other mod suggestions? I had been thinking about a full motor swap but I really don't have the money for that.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Do you feel a big difference in hp from stock to what you have now? Ill be going down the same road just with a fourth gen. Anything noticeable?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
The Assassin

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

HO cams can run off superchips, but anymore agressive than that and you will need custom tuning with a diablo or sct, so you will need a wideband for that.

Superchargers were talked about for the 4.7, but very few were made. You could always get an STS turbo kit, but then you will need custom tuning again.

Ported TB helps throttle reponse on the 4.7 a good bit. I have one by "The Fast Man" on my Durango, it really does help.

Great info! I'm thinking about the 08 intake swap. I have also considered a one off STS kit. And other than the HO cams, I wouldn't know where to find anything else more aggressive these days.

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What gears are you running? You run 37s right?

Nickxxxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see i was planning 4.56 gears when i get money. My next set of tires will be 35s and the set after that ( i hope) will be 37

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great info! I'm thinking about the 08 intake swap. I have also considered a one off STS kit. And other than the HO cams, I wouldn't know where to find anything else more aggressive these days.

I know, with KRC being bought by WPE and no one can get in touch with them the options are limited. If you can find someone that has a KRC cam card you may be able to get comp to grind the cams for you.

You could alway swap in a hemi, I have seen used 5.7s for around $1500 and 6.1s for about $3200.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know if you get on "the other forum", but there is a guy selling HO regrind 206 cams in the classifieds.

And another selling a 2008 intake

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
The Assassin

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know, with KRC being bought by WPE and no one can get in touch with them the options are limited. If you can find someone that has a KRC cam card you may be able to get comp to grind the cams for you.

You could alway swap in a hemi, I have seen used 5.7s for around $1500 and 6.1s for about $3200.

I had thought about that. But finding all the wiring and what not can be a PITA. Plus, I have to figure out how, with having a lifted truck, to get the motor out.

I don't know if you get on "the other forum", but there is a guy selling HO regrind 206 cams in the classifieds.

And another selling a 2008 intake

Thanks

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had thought about that. But finding all the wiring and what not can be a PITA. Plus, I have to figure out how, with having a lifted truck, to get the motor out.

I'm not sure how it would be, my only engine swap experiences have been with old chevy sb and bb v8s that were carb'd

ramin44s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
i want to see a sts turbo on ur truck! that would be pretty cool but i think airram has 206 and 212 cams on his site for the 4.7 also

07BlueRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What is the difference between an 06,07 TB and and 08TB bc I would like to get a little more power out of my truck. Will it just bolt right in stock location?

ramin44s

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
^ you have to buy adapters from what i have heard.. they sell them on airram.com

HemiSwapped06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Who said you need custom tuning for more than a HO??? My brothers 03 Dakota has 218/224s, 08 intake, JBA headers, 2 1/4" duals and idles/runs great on Superchips 91 octane programming. SCT would be better but not needed. Even my Hemi runs pretty darn well on Superchips 91 4.7 programming. The only tuning on the truck is a Split Second Cam Tuner at the moment although we played with a PSC-1 on it.

2003 Dakota 4.7 Crane 218/224 cam idle - YouTube

FWIW on the 06+ 4.7 engines with EGR if you do the 2008 intake, you will need the 2008 EGR valve and pipe.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is the difference between an 06,07 TB and and 08TB bc I would like to get a little more power out of my truck. Will it just bolt right in stock location?

It is not just the TB difference on the 08+, it is the intake manifold. the 08+ 4.7s had some other changes as well to get from 235hp to 310.

OP
OP
The Assassin

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Jeff, I don't know that there is a difference with the throttle body. I know that the intake manifold on the 08's offer more power than the 06-07.

HemiSwapped06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Jeff, I don't know that there is a difference with the throttle body. I know that the intake manifold on the 08's offer more power than the 06-07.

The 08+ 4.7 has a DBW throttle body similar to the hemi vs the 99-07 style cable operated unit. The throttle bodies have a different bolt pattern and gasket layout. The 08 intake has to be run with adapter plates to make the older throttle body work.

The 06 and 07 trucks need the 08 EGR parts or else the manifold will hit the 06-07 style EGR valve.

The heads, pistons, connecting rods, cams, intake, and tuning are different on the 08+ engines. The 08 rental truck that I drove had a converter that stalled around 2,800 rpm in it as well.