4 wheel drive makes loud winding sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTU.CNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all. I have a 2005 Dodge RAM 2500 SLT Quad Cab 4x4. 98,000 mi. I have checked ALL fuses in the fuse box, ensuring all of them are the correct size and work. My 4-wheel drive is Manual Shift-On-The-Go.

But whether I shift from 2H to 4H at 2-3 miles per hour, or 30 when coasting, my track makes a loud winding (not so much grinding) sound from the front, from what sounds like the front axle where lockout hubs would be if it had them (which it does not).

I have used 4-wheel drive before (1985 GMC K1500 4x4) and I know it can be louder and rougher when engaged. Mine does engage, but is considerably loud. I bought this mid-Oct 2011, and while the 4x4 worked, it was tested in a parking lot, and at very low speeds you do not hear it. My warranty lasted 30 days through the dealer. Any suggestions what this might be, or what to do?

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum. :)

Not sure about this issue. I had the same kind of 4x4 on my 05 but never experienced that noise. Bumping for others.