4 wheel drive problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kriegerj89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Its a 2007 1500 slt. When I turn the switch to 4 high the light just flashes I can here the actuator going but the light just flashes. If I put it in 4 low the 4 high light stays on and the 4 low flashes. The plugs are in securely and I dont see any smashed or cut wires from kicking up rocks. On the rear I do have tires that have about 1/4in difference from driving but even stopped in park neutral reverse I tried it all. Any ideas would help.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
There is a TSB for the 2006 and 2007 1500 4WD that involves replacing the front axle disconnect (FAD) actuator and re-flashing the PCM. If this is the problem it should give you the DTC code c1464 but I don't think you can pull the code yourself and needs to be done at the dealer.

The only do-it-yourself fix I could find was trying to reset the PCM to factory settings by disconnecting the pos and neg battery cables and touching them together for 30 seconds.

OP
OP
K

Kriegerj89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok I crawled around a little bit and put it on a lift. 4 wheel drive does activate but the light still flashes as if it hasnt. Could that just be a sensor or that its not fully engaging.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Does it do this when rolling? Try going 20 mph and switching in and out of 4Hi and 2Hi. Sounds like it is trying, but it's not sync'd with the transfer case.

This is probably due to being on a hard, dry surface, and your rears are turning slower than your fronts due to the different tire diameters.

My 07 goes right in and out. But, the Power Wagon (common issue) will flash it's "I'm trying" light for quite a while, especially when trying to engage the lockers while going straight on hard pack. Trick is to do a few big "S" type sweeping turning movements to align the gears.

See if that helps.

OP
OP
K

Kriegerj89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks ill try that im going up to a family cabin next week and its all mud roads with big holes so im gonna need it in working order.