4x4 Wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinewil81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My 2006 1500 quad cab has a wobble when engaged in 4WD. Symptoms are near identical to a bad CV, only feels more impacting to the entire front end with the wobble. As in chassis shimmy. I've replaced the CVs, hubs, and upper control arms both sides. I also rebuilt output passenger side of front diff. Got me new lower arms and a set of eibachs to install. My wheel spacers made it worse, they are off now. Could lower control arms be the culprit or are there other suggestions?

Feedback appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you leveled? Leveling kits, aka high CV angles, are usual suspects to 4wd vibartion/wobble.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When is the last time your tires were balanced? Unbalanced tires can create these same symptoms.

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
I would think it'd be present in both 2wd and 4wd if that were the case then.

Mine does it as well and it's a balancing issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

alpinewil81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Are you leveled? Leveling kits, aka high CV angles, are usual suspects to 4wd vibartion/wobble.
Yes, I currently have blocks, but I am changing to the Bilstien 5100s in lieu. From everything Ive read, the extra expense is worth it.

One would think that a brand new, not reman, CV wouldn't experience the wobble when engaged right away. It should theoretically take a little wear first. But it wobbled as if I never replaced it. I wonder just how much play the lower ball joint has and if thats allowing it to magnify as well?

I took my spacers off because all they did was accentuate it. But now it looks dumb with my flares, so theyre going back on.

OP
OP
A

alpinewil81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When is the last time your tires were balanced? Unbalanced tires can create these same symptoms.
They were just done, its only present in 4WD. It's more vibration through chassis than steering wheel too.

OP
OP
A

alpinewil81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
When was the last time the u-joints on the front drive shaft were done they can start to wear and give one hell of a shake
Thats a great question. I bought the truck used as a mechanic "special" more like nightmare. I've cleared most hurdles so far but that is one thing still on my list of to do repairs. Knowing the previous owner, probably never.

OP
OP
A

alpinewil81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Give that shaft a shake around if it's got play I'd suspect bad ujoint
So, I didn't realize the 1500 standard duty did not have U-Joints on both ends. Instead its a serviceable high speed bushing on one end with joints at the other. That explains a lot. Time to rebuild that shaft.