5.2 cooling issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Looking at a 99 5.2 Dakota for a beater truck, real cheap.
Overall very clean and low miles.

Guy is getting rid of it because it's old and doesn't want to put any more money into it. So the clincher is he said it had a broken radiator and overheated.
I looked at it, coolant was pushing past radiator cap after about 5/10 minutes idle time. If gauge is correct it didn't get hot.
Wondering if this is nothing more than a bad cap?
No coolant mix in the oil, no coolant smell or smoke out the exhaust.
System is pretty gunked up though, definitely needs to be flushed out.
Has new water pump and thermostat.

So for the coolant experts, could this possibly just be a bad cap and in need of a good flush or is it something worse that I'm not picking up on?

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could just need a good cleaning of the whole system and a new cap. But, it could be a bad head gasket too. How long did you drive it for?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Didn't actually "drive it"

Buried in the yard and he wasn't sure how much coolant was left with the leak so there was no attempt to take for a spin.

Ran for a good 10 minutes at idle before coolant started flowing out from between the cap and the neck on the radiator. So I shut it off. Gauge was reading under 200 I remember that much. Hadn't fully even warmed up yet.

IDK. Oil was sparkly clean, healthy smell at exhaust, no smoke.
Ran good. No knocks or rattles or squeaks.

So could still possibly be a head gasket?

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
I would go cheap first new radiator cap and thermostat and flush the radiator.I don't think its a blown head gasket.The very last thing is then replace the radiator these old 3.9,5.2and 5.9 all have mostly have the same cooling system.If you get that fixed with not much problem you got a good engine.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I passed and he put her down.
Shame. Was otherwise a good truck.