Abs and brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

axxer4200

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out why my abs and brake light are on? I know it has something to do with the vss, I replaced it with a new one from rock auto and I lost my speedometer and the light came on immediately, where as I have to go over 40 mph for the lights to come on now. Please help this is annoying. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out why my abs and brake light are on? I know it has something to do with the vss, I replaced it with a new one from rock auto and I lost my speedometer and the light came on immediately, where as I have to go over 40 mph for the lights to come on now. Please help this is annoying. Thanks for the help!

If you haven't figured it out yet even thought it's been a month, I had the same issue. pull the diff cover and change the fluid and clean out all the metal shavings in their and your speedometer should read better but the light will still come on just at a higher speed unless the shavings is your issue. Mine is the carrier bearings are wearing out and the carrier asymbly itself is moving around causing the tone ring to hit the wheel speed sensor and take a literal chunk out of it and it's scratching my diff cover from the inside. Listen carefully as you drive with no music and when going high speeds and you let go of the gas pedal don't hit the break see if you hear the scratching of the tone ring on the cover or just pull the cover see if there is scratches, should be vertical.

OP
OP
A

axxer4200

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you haven't figured it out yet even thought it's been a month, I had the same issue. pull the diff cover and change the fluid and clean out all the metal shavings in their and your speedometer should read better but the light will still come on just at a higher speed unless the shavings is your issue. Mine is the carrier bearings are wearing out and the carrier asymbly itself is moving around causing the tone ring to hit the wheel speed sensor and take a literal chunk out of it and it's scratching my diff cover from the inside. Listen carefully as you drive with no music and when going high speeds and you let go of the gas pedal don't hit the break see if you hear the scratching of the tone ring on the cover or just pull the cover see if there is scratches, should be vertical.
Thank you for your reply I have not really found the problem. About 2-3 months ago my neighbor approached me and told me that I had a leak. So I found that the axle seal had gone bad so I changed the seals and the bearings at the same time. I did find that the cover had the infamous scratches and found metal shavings as well. So I cleaned the entire diff as best as I could didn't think about the axle tunes needing to be cleaned! Two months ago I received a recall letter on my airbags so I asked if there were any other recalls and was informed that there was a recall on the pinion nut staying tight ( check into this) so the dealership fixed that and new bearings and seals along with cleaning it. Unfortunately the problem persists. I have also tried a new sensor (not sure if that was in the first post) and lost all speedometer so I switched back and have a light and speedometer! Thanks for reading and thanks for the help!!

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Last hub bearing I bought from Rock auto for my wife’s car had a bad sensor out of the box. Soon as I put it on I had the brake/abs and traction control light come on. If the light wasn’t there before you installed the new one I would check there. Also check the actual abs wire connection at the wheel well. I’ve had the light come on when it wasn’t inserted correctly. Try cleaning it out and adding some dialectic grease to it.

DRKSTR088

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Thank you for your reply I have not really found the problem. About 2-3 months ago my neighbor approached me and told me that I had a leak. So I found that the axle seal had gone bad so I changed the seals and the bearings at the same time. I did find that the cover had the infamous scratches and found metal shavings as well. So I cleaned the entire diff as best as I could didn't think about the axle tunes needing to be cleaned! Two months ago I received a recall letter on my airbags so I asked if there were any other recalls and was informed that there was a recall on the pinion nut staying tight ( check into this) so the dealership fixed that and new bearings and seals along with cleaning it. Unfortunately the problem persists. I have also tried a new sensor (not sure if that was in the first post) and lost all speedometer so I switched back and have a light and speedometer! Thanks for reading and thanks for the help!!

Did they replace the carrier bearings? If not then the problem still happening could be from that, also since you found the scratches on on the diff cover then likely you have a few teeth from the tone ring missing and that could cause the light to turn on. This would be an inaccurate reading from the sensor and cause the lights to pop up again. I believe the tone ring is $32 but you need to loosen the pre-load bearings and remove the ring gear to swap it out.

OP
OP
A

axxer4200

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did they replace the carrier bearings? If not then the problem still happening could be from that, also since you found the scratches on on the diff cover then likely you have a few teeth from the tone ring missing and that could cause the light to turn on. This would be an inaccurate reading from the sensor and cause the lights to pop up again. I believe the tone ring is $32 but you need to loosen the pre-load bearings and remove the ring gear to swap it out.
Short answer yes. But here is the list they did also.
20c337e6998e6fd5ca4b3305a1c2ce0b.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963