Abs is turning on at Highway speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
So as the title says, my abs is turning on but not engaging when I hit 75mph it normally doesn't turn on at that speed. It used to turn on at 105 - 115mph.
The bit of research I did all I saw was that the abs speed sensor could be going bad and that why it's doing this. Just wanted to make this post and see some other opinions on what it could be unless someone knows exactly what it is.

02 ram 1500, 4.7l 2x4

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe it's telling you to slow down? Anything over 90 in a full size truck is a little much... Even the 4.7 knows better lol

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Maybe it's telling you to slow down? Anything over 90 in a full size truck is a little much... Even the 4.7 knows better lol

Lmao 70 is the speed limit but trust me it handles well at 100 lol. And I ran a couple of test runs and it's turning on at 80-83

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are your tire sizes the same front to back. Is the abs ring in on the rear dirty where it cant get a good signal at that speed?

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Are your tire sizes the same front to back. Is the abs ring in on the rear dirty where it cant get a good signal at that speed?

Tire sizes are all the same. This is the first it's ever happened and the abs speed sensor is in on the rear differential, do not know if it's dirty haven't looked at it and are asking if it's dirty from the surface? But if it is why would it only be going off at 80mph instead of a bunch of random speeds?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your ABS isn't "turning on" it's just the light coming on telling you there is a problem somewhere in the system. My guess is that since it is speed related then the problem is with a speed sensor somewhere.

But yes 115mph in a full size truck on a public road is entirely too ******* fast

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your ABS isn't "turning on" it's just the light coming on telling you there is a problem somewhere in the system. My guess is that since it is speed related then the problem is with a speed sensor somewhere.

But yes 115mph in a full size truck on a public road is entirely too ******* fast

All of what was just said +1

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
I'm still back on the part where the 4.7 got it over 90 lol

I hit 118 stock everything lol and it was cruising like it was made to go that fast. It was on this long road out in the country driving to South padre after you pass corpus lol

OP
OP
Ian_Olivas

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum

I guess I could've worded that better. But yes that's what I meant the light turns on but not the actual abs itself. And yes I know it's too fast on a public road I did it once and will never do it again. It was just something that I was curious about. I always wanted to know if it could hit the 120 on the speedometer