ac issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olbaid_83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
k bought my wife an 02 4.7 qc. everything works just fine until this morning we get in the truck and the ac wont blow cold. i notice at that point that the compressor is turning on and off. called my buddy who does ac and hauled it out to his place (hotter than hell at 108 today). after checking pressures and what not (i know nothing about ac) he determined that it was fine the freon levels were good but for some reason its still not blowing cold. we bypassed the heater core and evapped the system. checked how much freon was supposed to be in it (1.87 lbs i think it was) and was only able get like 1.2 lbs in it. still blowing hot. by hot i mean the gauge he checked with showed 103 degree air coming out of the vent. after scratching our heads we noticed the condensor fan wasnt spinning. it was getting 13V to it but not spinning. does this seem like it could be causing the ac to not cool down at all? i dont want to spend 100+ on a new one and it not fix anything

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
first off if your buddy does ac and doesnt know that the condensor fan motor has to spin to get rid of the heat and drop the pressures than i would take it some where and have the sytem reevacuated and filter drier change because he probly contaminated the sytem by now. If the cond. fan isnt turning but is getting voltage then there is something wrong with it and it needs to be replaced. You can hot wire it to make sure you not getting a ghost voltage though. But with out the fan the refridgerant cant reject the heat thus causing high head pressure and short cycling the compressor. Continued short cycleing of the compressor can cause damage to it.

OP
OP
olbaid_83

olbaid_83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
you answered my real question with that post reefguy. i didnt know that the condensor fan would make the the compressor go intemittent. once the new fan comes in i am going to install it and he is going to evac the system and put a fresh charge in it. he does commercial ac and isnt as fluent with vehicles but knows enough to not mess anything up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956