Ac problem need info plz

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bendeloach60

Reaction score
Ram Year
02 quad cab sport
Engine
5.9 v8
Ok if I'm in the wrong section I apologize ....first of lemme say I have an 02 sport quad cab with the 5.9 in it...with that my problem starts with if I'm at an idle my ac starts blowing how and I stress hot air.....back last summer it did the same thing but it also blew out moisture from the vents as well but not so much anymore....as soon as the truck starts moving the air cools down and thought its not extremely cold it makes the truck tolerable....a local shop told me after a pressure test that I had plenty of high end pressure but no low end pressure that my orifice tube is clogged....2 questions 1.) is this the case and 2.) this is where it gets confusing....yes I know the orifice tube is in the ac line and the whole thing needs to be replaced but at oreileys and advance the line they give me cuts off on the right side of my radiator when the original goes all the way across to the opposite side of my radiator.....the part matches completely up until that spot....another prob is that they tried an 03 part and it's completely different.....again here's a little confusing....my dad has an 06 5.7 hemi 2500 hd.....his line is identical to mine in my 02....oreileys part for an 03+ is completely different.....anyone have any clue why this is and if I even need to change this

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im no ac whiz, so I have no idea if thats your problem. But I just replaced my orifice tube line like 2 weeks ago and went through this same ordeal. Heres the part you need- Murray 56822 - Liquid Line Hose Assembly W/ Orifice Tube | O'Reilly Auto Parts

The line with the orifice tube connects to the accumulator(right behind the stock air box) and goes to the side of the fender where theres a quick disconnect, its kinda hidden but if you trace the line, youll find it. Heres a pic, crappy, but this is the about where the line is...
ramacorficetube.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bendeloach60

Reaction score
Ram Year
02 quad cab sport
Engine
5.9 v8
Man I got so frustrated today I just went outside in the dark with a flashlight.....found that break in the line it's pretty much behind the bracket that holds the airbox to the frame....how I didn't see this earlier idk but this is the piece oreileys said my truck needed Murray 56824 - Liquid Line Hose Assembly W/ Orifice Tube | O'Reilly Auto Parts u need any specific tools to install this if so what

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya, thats the wrong one if you have a 3rg gen. Its funny that when you want any ac part for an 02 they give you a 2nd gen ram part, even though i told them i have a 1/2 ton, which in 2002, all 1/2 tons are the 3rd gens.:Rant: To install you will have to have the ac system evacuated, then you will need some kind of quick disconnect tool like these-
OTC 7660 - Spg Loc Tool | O'Reilly Auto Parts
OTC 7363 - Spring Loc Tool | O'Reilly Auto Parts

They are actually a lot cheaper in the store. I had no preference over either, but my dad said he thought the metal ones were better.Those disconnects are a pain in the ass to do though. It took forever to get mine off because I guess theyve never been seperated before, but once I finally did I could connect it and disconnect it in seconds, so be patient with em lol.

OP
OP
B

Bendeloach60

Reaction score
Ram Year
02 quad cab sport
Engine
5.9 v8
Ok so just making sure my truck is listed as an 02 but was a late 01 from November is this still considered a 3rd gen and man I appreciate all the info it's help a ton

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is your truck the same body style as mine, if so its a 3rd gen. And no problem, thats what we're here for. I know I was getting pretty pissed off when I was messin with all this stuff. From now on Im just gonna tell people I have an 03 because the damn parts stores cant get their info right...

OP
OP
B

Bendeloach60

Reaction score
Ram Year
02 quad cab sport
Engine
5.9 v8
ok so the 03 part worked and if ur truck is the picture at the bottom of your posts they yes its like yours....once again i appreciate it....sad thing is this didnt fix my total problem....it did make my air colder but it still goes hot when my truck isnt moving....if anyone else can chime in it would be greatly appreciated

OP
OP
B

Bendeloach60

Reaction score
Ram Year
02 quad cab sport
Engine
5.9 v8
lol i dont even know where that is

Gone-broke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
More than likely the condensor fan. Its a 30.00 fix if you just buy the motor and takes about 30 min to change. You do not have to open the system so no evacuate and recharge..

Sent while driving...

OP
OP
B

Bendeloach60

Reaction score
Ram Year
02 quad cab sport
Engine
5.9 v8
ok well i just checked it it doesnt come on when the ac is on....checked the fuse as well doesnt resolve the problem so i suppose that could be the issue i also found this on another site that someone had wrote with the same problem....just trying to weigh my options here.....

if you have cold air while driving refridgerant is not your problem to me it sounds like ac clutch because as your engine is in a driving rpm (at the lowest 1300 rpm) the clutch is in override. anything below that the clutch has to recieve a signal from cabin sensor and the pressure switch you were talking about to engage. if your clutch is bad and your sensors are good this will cause your idle problem. if your clutch is good and your sensor and switch is bad this will also cause the problem. so you have it limited down to three things. do you have any service lights on in your dash? if no your problem is with the clutch if yes then it is either your sensor(s) or your switch(s). yes if you have a adjustable climate control (meaning you can change the temp from either your driver or your passenger side then you will have more then one.
BEST OF LUCK HOPE THIS HELPS

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok well i just checked it it doesnt come on when the ac is on....checked the fuse as well doesnt resolve the problem so i suppose that could be the issue i also found this on another site that someone had wrote with the same problem....just trying to weigh my options here.....

if you have cold air while driving refridgerant is not your problem to me it sounds like ac clutch because as your engine is in a driving rpm (at the lowest 1300 rpm) the clutch is in override. anything below that the clutch has to recieve a signal from cabin sensor and the pressure switch you were talking about to engage. if your clutch is bad and your sensors are good this will cause your idle problem. if your clutch is good and your sensor and switch is bad this will also cause the problem. so you have it limited down to three things. do you have any service lights on in your dash? if no your problem is with the clutch if yes then it is either your sensor(s) or your switch(s). yes if you have a adjustable climate control (meaning you can change the temp from either your driver or your passenger side then you will have more then one.
BEST OF LUCK HOPE THIS HELPS
This could also be it, but since you said the fan doesnt come on, then you know for sure that thats a problem. Since the fan isnt spinning, nothings cooling it off while idling, once you start moving, the air flowing into the condenser helps. I would start with that. Apparently you can replace just the motor like Gone-Broke said. It seems pretty easy, but Ive never done it so I couldnt really help you with that

OP
OP
B

Bendeloach60

Reaction score
Ram Year
02 quad cab sport
Engine
5.9 v8
ive actually been trying to find a motor for it since i seen his response.....gone-broke any ideas where to get one cheap

OP
OP
B

Bendeloach60

Reaction score
Ram Year
02 quad cab sport
Engine
5.9 v8
yea i found that one earlier but was hoping to just replace the motor itself rather than the whole fan but i did go ahead and buy one hopefully have it soon

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yea i found that one earlier but was hoping to just replace the motor itself rather than the whole fan but i did go ahead and buy one hopefully have it soon

Everywhere I am looking, the fan motor only is only $4 or $6 less than the whole assembly.

Last edited:

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before you buy something, I would probably hook the motor straight up to the battery just to be sure it is the motor itself, and not some switch or crap

OP
OP
B

Bendeloach60

Reaction score
Ram Year
02 quad cab sport
Engine
5.9 v8
Alright guys I got it figured out my condenser fan wasn't coming on and I did a test the motor is still functional....started checking fuses....well let's say it's got 2 and I overlooked one last night so changed the blown one out and bam runs great....I feel ******** but my ac is now cold sitting at an idle and I'm happy once again

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good, glad you got it fixed! A fuse is a lot better than replacing the whole fan lol