Am I crazy for wanting this truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReeseRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey guys. I'm looking at buying a 2003 RAM 1500 truck. 5.7L Hemi, quad cab, short bed. Odometer says less than 143k miles, Carfax confirms. It's had ONE wreck, Carfax says "driver hit a fixed object in a parking lot", so I'm guessing they hit a lamp post? Truck was fixed, no internal issues, all superficial.

All service records are available and they've been kept up to date. The truck runs perfect, shifts perfect, sounds perfect.. Has a couple tiny little dings here and there on the body but I'm not worried about it. Has a full tow package underneath the rear bumper.

Overall, it's immaculate for its age.
Original price was $9995, now dropped to $7995.
Because it's up here in Idaho and it's 2WD.
(That's not a big deal for me, as I'm moving back down south before next winter hits.)

Am I insane for desperately trying for this truck?

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Hey guys. I'm looking at buying a 2003 RAM 1500 truck. 5.7L Hemi, quad cab, short bed. Odometer says less than 143k miles, Carfax confirms. It's had ONE wreck, Carfax says "driver hit a fixed object in a parking lot", so I'm guessing they hit a lamp post? Truck was fixed, no internal issues, all superficial.

All service records are available and they've been kept up to date. The truck runs perfect, shifts perfect, sounds perfect.. Has a couple tiny little dings here and there on the body but I'm not worried about it. Has a full tow package underneath the rear bumper.

Overall, it's immaculate for its age.
Original price was $9995, now dropped to $7995.
Because it's up here in Idaho and it's 2WD.
(That's not a big deal for me, as I'm moving back down south before next winter hits.)

Am I insane for desperately trying for this truck?
Nope not at all. I did the same when I saw mine. Paid 7,800 for my 2002 5.9 with 140,000 on it, of course it's lifted, had brand new 35's, and Magnaflow exhaust.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
What model is it? But at a quick search price is not too bad but I am sure you can do better!( It is a Old High mileage truck and they want to get rid of it so that can be a PLUS for you :) Also is the truck going to be a in town truck or alot of long hauling around? AT 140000+ miles I would be concerned about that. BUT today a well maintained truck/car can last a long time. And it has maintenance records so that would make me feel better :) ,
Here is the NADA Link
New Car Prices and Used Car Book Values - NADAguides
Kelly Blue Book
https://www.kbb.com/?psid=20000&utm...=d55ae13d-5bcf-42bc-bac0-1a1feb1157bf&sissr=1

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not too bad. I paid $11,000 out the door for my '06 Reg cab short bed, 4wd.

OP
OP
R

ReeseRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What model is it? But at a quick search price is not too bad but I am sure you can do better!( It is a Old High mileage truck and they want to get rid of it so that can be a PLUS for you :) Also is the truck going to be a in town truck or alot of long hauling around? AT 140000+ miles I would be concerned about that. BUT today a well maintained truck/car can last a long time. And it has maintenance records so that would make me feel better :) ,
Here is the NADA Link
New Car Prices and Used Car Book Values - NADAguides
Kelly Blue Book
https://www.kbb.com/?psid=20000&utm...=d55ae13d-5bcf-42bc-bac0-1a1feb1157bf&sissr=1

It will be used for both in-town and hauling. I've got horses so it'll be used every once in a while to haul in/out to a vet, trails, etc.. I don't rodeo anymore so I'm not gonna be on the road with a trailer much.

According to the records, it's been very well maintained. No issues, no missed servicing, save for that one "accident" somewhere in a parking lot. (Which I'm guessing they hit a lamp post, but again the Carfax said that there was no internal damage, all superficial.)

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
It will be used for both in-town and hauling. I've got horses so it'll be used every once in a while to haul in/out to a vet, trails, etc.. I don't rodeo anymore so I'm not gonna be on the road with a trailer much.

According to the records, it's been very well maintained. No issues, no missed servicing, save for that one "accident" somewhere in a parking lot. (Which I'm guessing they hit a lamp post, but again the Carfax said that there was no internal damage, all superficial.)

All the records is a big plus :) I do think you may be able to cut alittle better deal,as the saying goes doesn't hurt to try lol . For me I am not to keen on the mileage if I was long hauling ,but that is me.! BUT alot of people do and that truck seems to be well maintained so a BIG plus .

Do you have a mechanics that can go over the truck ? Do a compression test etc ??