Announcment: Tecate Score Baja 1000 2011

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SafetyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
4.7L
I have talked it over with my family, Secured My Co-Drive, Purchased the Score Membership and rule book. Waiting for the rule book to start ordering parts!! Yes this 08 ram will be there 2011!! Just thought I would announce it here first!

I do need a few things from you guys if you can help.

I am running it in the stock full class (drivers class to me not biggest wallet class).

1. Body lifts are ok so i need a 3" body lift. name your manufacturer and favorite purchase place please.

2. front bumper/skid plate replacement. Im 90% sure they are ok in the stock full class anyone know a mass produced one? or anyone know someone that is just making them.

3. Roll cage the specifics I can go into later if need be. anyone know a company that I can order one from? Or am I going to have te get this built (probably the latter which is ok i know some good welders). Just an FYI cannot weld to vehile must bolt to it with a plate on both sides and grade 8 bolts.

thanks guys

ALSO I think i will need a HUGE RF Sticker for the side of the truck who is making these and can they make a big enough one for the side of a vehicle and how much

thanks guys for the help in advance

cheapbeater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
sounds like a lot of fun.. i got my bl from amazon- that seems to be the cheapest place.. i dont know if i would do a bodylift for this event.. are you going to be running bigger tires?
could you give us a little more info on this event? like what will you be doing? terrain, speed..?
i also suggest a tranny temp gauge..

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sounds like a lot of fun.. i got my bl from amazon- that seems to be the cheapest place.. i dont know if i would do a bodylift for this event.. are you going to be running bigger tires?
could you give us a little more info on this event? like what will you be doing? terrain, speed..?

Agreed. Totally wouldn't do a body lift either, unless you were making the pucks out of metal. If anything, I'd run the Kore kit, and call it a day. Maybe also look into some fiberglass fenders and bedsides.

Dodge Pakages

cheapbeater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
its an '08...
i dont think he can run a sus lift and still be in the 'stock' class..
i dont think the bl blocks would break, but if you arent lifting to clear bigger tires, then you are just raising the center of gravity with NO gains..

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
captian magulicuty or some mess made the RF decals give him a pm .

Also pm jeff at performance lifts {our vendor) he might be able to hook ya up . Or just post a question in his room

OP
OP
S

SafetyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
4.7L

Gauges and stuff I have covered. Terrain? its the baja nuff said rocky hilly sandy silty ****.

I cannot run fiberglass fenders must remain the stock sheet metal. yes the slight body lift is to clear a larger tire.

I am still lining up chase vehicle as well as pitting issues. I most likely will look for a pit company to cover the pits and maybe just have family members do it and leap frog down the course ass needed.

OP
OP
S

SafetyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
4.7L
^^ Will do for sure. I am waiting for the rule book before ordering alot of parts. but i can deffinetly use a hand installing most things im sure never hurts to have extras

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 2500
Engine
CTD
I have run the Baja 1000 a few times as co-driver and 15+ times as a crew member. Last year I chased for my uncle (Class 6 - Ranger).

I can answer a few of your questions... the roll cage will have to be fabricated from scratch. Nobody offers a "bolt in" cage that will pass SCORE tech. The weight of this truck will require the cage to be built using 1-3/4" diameter .120" wall DOM or 4130 tube for the primary structure. The rule book will give you the specifics on the required tube locations, A and B pillar requirements, required gussets, etc. SCORE is very specific if you are not going to weld the cage directly to the body / chassis. They do this to protect YOU in case the truck rolls. I've rolled over more than I care to remember and I can tell you that a properly built cage can be the difference between walking away from the crash or dying. I've seem some TERRIBLE vehicles given the SCORE 1 time Tech exception and I can't believe people would put their own life on the line like that.

The bumpers will tie into the cage work. You can't use a generic off-the-shelf "bolt on" bumper and expect it to survive. Especially your rear bumper. You will be in a slower class and should count on getting punted from behind. If a faster vehicle is down on time and you don't get out of their way fast enough there is a good chance they will give you the chrome horn. Make sure the rear tire carrier is designed in such a way that when you get punted from behind you can still get the tire out if the tubes shift forward. I've seen some people wrap the tubes around the tire so close that when the tubes shift they lock the spare tire (or tires) in place. That can require airing the tire down, removing it, and then having to air it back up. The front bumper is up to you. If you want to be able to smash through brush / small trees / vacas / burros you better build the bumper strong enough to withstand that abuse.

The reality is you need 35" or larger tires. Anything smaller and you'll be plowing the rut crown for everyone behind you. My advice? Immediately get into contact with BFGoodrich - BFG Off Road -- As a low budget low resource team the BFG Pit Support will be invaluable to you.

If you decide to go the 3" body lift route I would not buy an off-the-shelf kit. Make your own body lift using aluminum pucks and good hardware. Don't worry about the bumper brackets, you most likely won't be using the factory bumpers anyway. If you need a few odds n' ends you can purchase the unique items separate (steering extension) or build your own.

It is almost always cheaper to buy a used ready to race vehicle than it is to build your own. I raced in the Baja 2000 in an 8S F-250 4x4 IFS. The truck was purchased from Ford for $1.00 and built to SCORE specification for the class. Even with the donation of the truck it was a $30,000 build with the spares necessary to run the 2000. I was co-driver when the entire rear end was ripped out after hitting a boulder the side of a small house (driver had poor night vision). I spent the night in the desert and vowed no more racing in a stock class. With that said, it is normally cheaper to build a vehicle in a less restrictive class. You might be slower than others in the class but not having to work within a strict set of rules can really make things cheaper to build. You might find building an 8 is cheaper than an 8S. That F-250 was up for sale for $25,000.00 a year or two after the race (early 2000's) and nobody wanted it. There are countless race trucks for sale each year and most of them are being sold $.50 cents on the dollar or lower.

I would have to say that of all the desert racing related websites Race-Dezert.com is going to have the most users capable of giving you the best advice. I have been a moderator on Race-Dezert.com for over a decade. If you haven't already joined "RDC" you need to. There is an excellent SHOP section where you can bounce questions off racers that have "been there and done that" ...

Here's my 2005 Ram 2500 after an "incident" in Mexico. Long story short, it took a year just to get the truck out of Mexico. Mexican Insurance didn't pay a cent but they did assist me in getting the truck back to the USA. Long story short, don't count on Mexico Insurance to pay up if the sh*t hits the fan. The other picture is from a Barstow race taken not too long before the Baja race.

-Jeff

Attachments

• safe_trip.jpg
    safe_trip.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SafetyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
4.7L
I have run the Baja 1000 a few times as co-driver and 15+ times as a crew member. Last year I chased for my uncle (Class 6 - Ranger).

I can answer a few of your questions... the roll cage will have to be fabricated from scratch. Nobody offers a "bolt in" cage that will pass SCORE tech. The weight of this truck will require the cage to be built using 1-3/4" diameter .120" wall DOM or 4130 tube for the primary structure. The rule book will give you the specifics on the required tube locations, A and B pillar requirements, required gussets, etc. SCORE is very specific if you are not going to weld the cage directly to the body / chassis. They do this to protect YOU in case the truck rolls. I've rolled over more than I care to remember and I can tell you that a properly built cage can be the difference between walking away from the crash or dying. I've seem some TERRIBLE vehicles given the SCORE 1 time Tech exception and I can't believe people would put their own life on the line like that.

The bumpers will tie into the cage work. You can't use a generic off-the-shelf "bolt on" bumper and expect it to survive. Especially your rear bumper. You will be in a slower class and should count on getting punted from behind. If a faster vehicle is down on time and you don't get out of their way fast enough there is a good chance they will give you the chrome horn. Make sure the rear tire carrier is designed in such a way that when you get punted from behind you can still get the tire out if the tubes shift forward. I've seen some people wrap the tubes around the tire so close that when the tubes shift they lock the spare tire (or tires) in place. That can require airing the tire down, removing it, and then having to air it back up. The front bumper is up to you. If you want to be able to smash through brush / small trees / vacas / burros you better build the bumper strong enough to withstand that abuse.

The reality is you need 35" or larger tires. Anything smaller and you'll be plowing the rut crown for everyone behind you. My advice? Immediately get into contact with BFGoodrich - BFG Off Road -- As a low budget low resource team the BFG Pit Support will be invaluable to you.

If you decide to go the 3" body lift route I would not buy an off-the-shelf kit. Make your own body lift using aluminum pucks and good hardware. Don't worry about the bumper brackets, you most likely won't be using the factory bumpers anyway. If you need a few odds n' ends you can purchase the unique items separate (steering extension) or build your own.

It is almost always cheaper to buy a used ready to race vehicle than it is to build your own. I raced in the Baja 2000 in an 8S F-250 4x4 IFS. The truck was purchased from Ford for $1.00 and built to SCORE specification for the class. Even with the donation of the truck it was a $30,000 build with the spares necessary to run the 2000. I was co-driver when the entire rear end was ripped out after hitting a boulder the side of a small house (driver had poor night vision). I spent the night in the desert and vowed no more racing in a stock class. With that said, it is normally cheaper to build a vehicle in a less restrictive class. You might be slower than others in the class but not having to work within a strict set of rules can really make things cheaper to build. You might find building an 8 is cheaper than an 8S. That F-250 was up for sale for $25,000.00 a year or two after the race (early 2000's) and nobody wanted it. There are countless race trucks for sale each year and most of them are being sold $.50 cents on the dollar or lower.

I would have to say that of all the desert racing related websites Race-Dezert.com is going to have the most users capable of giving you the best advice. I have been a moderator on Race-Dezert.com for over a decade. If you haven't already joined "RDC" you need to. There is an excellent SHOP section where you can bounce questions off racers that have "been there and done that" ...

-Jeff

I figured on the rool cage needing to be built. I ahve the specs for the rollc age already in hand was just wondering if there was a bolt in option out there.

Yes I have heard all the arguments for changing the class instead of adhearing to the stricter rulles of the Stock Full. I prefer this class to others for a few good reasons. number one more of a drivers class (although all baja is drivers class really gotta finish to win) and number 2 the atmosphere theres something to be said about the "die hard" Stock Fulls. somethign about "this thing isn't going to make it" and making it you know.

Bumpers I guess I wasn't really looking for an off the shelf bumper exactl,y more as the ram runner bumper specifically built for off road desert racing. I can always have the bumpers fabbed with the roll cage.

Yes more than likely cheaper to buy than build but once again something about the build and preperation of the vehicle belonging solely to nme is Zen like and inspiring.

Planned on atleast 35" good info though on the BFG stuff thanx!!

Yes I have checked out race-dezert.com a few times for some info havent signed up yet as the layout seems a bit cluttered for me really.

thanks for the help did answer some questions. I guess I was more curious about my questions then actually saying thats the route im going. More often than not I gather all the information first before making a decision thats whay I asked the questions on here that I did.

matt99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
dang that sounds amazing...i would love to do that. I couldnt put my truck though it though!

I know he said piece together a lift kit but the zone blocks are rated at 60,000 pounds...i cant see those breaking or w/e...its a high quality kit. the only thing i thought was kinda flemsy was the fan shroud mounts and if you had an efan, those would be gone also

looking forward to seeing your truck when its ready. Can you run a Raptor in the class you are going to race in?

OP
OP
S

SafetyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
4.7L
I believe they will be seeing as they were designed for that exact class. as long as there are more that i believe 5,000 produced in the previous production year they can race stock full. But once again even those guys have to finish to win. but they do have a good likely hood of it.

cheapbeater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Here's my 2005 Ram 2500 after an "incident" in Mexico. Long story short, it took a year just to get the truck out of Mexico. Mexican Insurance didn't pay a cent but they did assist me in getting the truck back to the USA. Long story short, don't count on Mexico Insurance to pay up if the sh*t hits the fan. The other picture is from a Barstow race taken not too long before the Baja race.

-Jeff

id never do this to my truck... damn.. cant u buy a beater or something??

fatwombat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi what else??
I could put that abuse if I had the money!! I would do this all day!!

OP
OP
S

SafetyGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500 4X4
Engine
4.7L
id never do this to my truck... damn.. cant u buy a beater or something??

LOL this is my beeter!!

I could go out and buy a diffrent one to run but i want to run this. maybe 2012 ill run the ram runner if its released or a tundra.

who knows maybe one of those titans with the hemi lol

no big deal to me its just a truck. I mean I Love my truck don't get me wrong maybe thats one of the reasons I want to do it in this particular truck wouldn't have the same meaning if I went out and bought one I don't think