anyone ever deal with this would like some input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hemsley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
hey everyone so i go out to my truck and try to start it and all I got is a click....so I figured I left something on tried to jump it to no avail it looked like my terminals were corroded so I cleaned them and low and behold it started rite up...about 2 days later I drove it to work with out any issues until I went to lunch....as I went down the road my radio was going on and off then my dash was flickering and then my truck died....I pushed it off to the side and was looking for a burnt wire or something found nothing my door chime was making funny noises my flashers were tweeking out along with my dash and radio....so I pulled the positive cable and looked under my dash found nothing then I rehooked my positive and low and behold everything was fine....started rite up so I drove it home and that's where its sitting....battery and alternator test good bout to give up and trade her in

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Sounds like bad battery cables. Go to a welding supply warehouse and purchase 15 feet of welding cable (if you can get multiple colors then buy 5 feet of red and 10 of black). Now the fun part, you will need to install connectors on the welding cable to connect to the battery and the other points that the positive and negative connect to. The negative will be the easy one, as it will only need a ring terminal installed on it. The battery end might be a bot of a problem though. I do not recommend using the clamp terminal connectors but getting some marine terminal connectors and another ring terminal. That should cure the problem.

OP
OP
H

hemsley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
hey thanks for the fast reply....I cleaned some more connections and removed both pos and neg cables from the battery and now all I get is a buzzing sound from my relays......

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Check and clean the negative cable where connects to the chassis.

OP
OP
H

hemsley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think im just gonna replace the cables and connectors tomorrow cause just my luck the cables r 2 short to replace just the connectors lol. btw megamouse funny you mentioned weld cable cause I work in a weld shop and I don't think the maintenance man will give me a hard time about some cable lol I hope we have the rite size I guess I will find out

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi Hemsley,

If that doesn't work try jogging the starter a little bit and see if that clears it up. I had a 72 Econoline Supervan that did something similar and it turned out ot be a high temp short in the starter. Also you may want to check the alternator by moving it also if the starter or the cables don't get it done.

Good luck,
preachp

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think im just gonna replace the cables and connectors tomorrow cause just my luck the cables r 2 short to replace just the connectors lol. btw megamouse funny you mentioned weld cable cause I work in a weld shop and I don't think the maintenance man will give me a hard time about some cable lol I hope we have the rite size I guess I will find out

Make sure that you get the largest cable you can. Those welding cables can handle damn near any amount of amperage you can throw at them and are almost indestructible. I replaced my cables some time back, more because I have a decent stereo system in my truck than any problem I was having.

OP
OP
H

hemsley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
hey guys just an update I replaced the cables and ends....but it did it again so I did a parasitic draw test and its pulling as much as the battery is testing....I disconnected the starter and the alt. volts didn't drop.....this is really starting to get to me lol I miss my truck

OP
OP
H

hemsley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
gonna try and load a short video a little later so I can show you guys what its doing....

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Is the engine not running at all or is it running off and on? Does it idle smoothly? I have also heard of a bad starter causing electrical and idling problems....bizarre stuff.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I would check the body/engine grounds. We have seen batteries that tested good, still be a problem. Or at least the electrical problem went away after being changed.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If there is a current/voltage draw with the key off then you have something wrong. Here is where to start: If you have a killer stereo system in your truck start there. Take out the fuses for it and test for voltage draw. If no killer stereo then go on to the next part. Pull each fuse out of the fuse box one at a time testing the draw on the battery until it goes down to normal or zero. There will be a slight draw for the computer but not enough to kill a battery. Now when you find the fuse that is on the circuit that is pulling the voltage then it will be time for a bit of troubleshooting. Find which circuit you disconnected is the one that is pulling the current. It should be on the lid of the fuse box.
You will need to use a volt meter to check for continuity on the effected circuit. At this time seeing as we do not know which circuit it is I cannot guide you further. Let us know what you find after pulling fuses.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452