Bad CV axle click click???? Help please!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aheeejd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I have an 03 Ram 1500. About a year ago I started hearing that sound a bad CV joint makes, click click, mostly when turning. I replaced right side about 8 months ago, still click click. Last week I replaced the drivers side (omg, hell on earth) click click, noise still there. Only when I turn to the left. Steering box is new, PS pump is new, steering knuckles are new, came with steering rack. My motor died last Oct, I replaced with remanufactured. That's when I did steering rack. In DEC when running again, I had front end alignment. Was inspected in DEC also. What could be making this noise? Something in front differential?? Please some input. Thank you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does the 4wd work? It almost sounds like the front axle disconnect actuator is half engaged. That would only make noise when turning...

Other than that the only other thing I can think of is a bad wheel bearing. I would think something in the diff would present other symptoms.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
aheeejd

aheeejd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Does the 4wd work? It almost sounds like the front axle disconnect actuator is half engaged. That would only make noise when turning...

Other than that the only other thing I can think of is a bad wheel bearing. I would think something in the diff would present other symptoms.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
4wd does work, used it more then normal as I'm hauling wood out of woods, through wet field, almost got stuck in 2wd, slapped it into 4 & walked right out. I have been through several bearings on this truck, but always was a different noise, almost like brake rub that developed into grinding. It has been a long time since a bearing has been replaced, so maybe I do need to look there. Hub assembly?? Thank you for your input

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Could be hubs, could be a worn bushing on something.
Loose fender skirt, pebble in the caliper...stuff like this sucks to find sometimes but process of elimination may be at hand. Try to recreate the symptoms and get the truck to make the noise. Does it do it all speeds? Low speeds?
Jack the thing up and start cutting the wheel back and forth.

OP
OP
aheeejd

aheeejd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Could be hubs, could be a worn bushing on something.
Loose fender skirt, pebble in the caliper...stuff like this sucks to find sometimes but process of elimination may be at hand. Try to recreate the symptoms and get the truck to make the noise. Does it do it all speeds? Low speeds?
Jack the thing up and start cutting the wheel back and forth.
Brakes are good, just replaced left caliper. Fender skirts are off at the moment. And yes it happens at all speeds, but I mostly notice it at slow speeds. But I hear ya, think I'm going to jack truck up on stands & get under it & try & recreate noise. Thank you

Last edited:

Stoneshine

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
4x4
What happened

What did it end up being ? I have an 04 Ram 1500 4x4 and it's doing the same thing. I heard the clicking and it got worse for a couple of weeks so I replaced the cv axle because it was under lifetime warranty and it was quiet for a few days and about 150miles now I hear it slowly coming back and am concerned because axle is brand new. 4x4 still working and drives normal. The clicking is when I'm driving straight and turning right, seems to quiet down when I turn the wheel left tho.

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Could it be the rack n pinion? Because I know mine is bad and my truck also makes that clicking sound when I turn the wheel and it's a 2wd

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio