Bilstein vs Gabriel shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
My 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 beats me to death when daily driving without a load. I replaced the original shocks with Gabriels from AutoZone. Image1476331522.262923.jpg

Truck ran super stiff before and after replacing all 4 shocks with the Gabriel Max Control shocks.

Are Bilstein shocks that much better? Will it smooth out the ride or am I stuck with a stiff, bone jarring ride when not carrying stuff in my the bed? I'm looking at level the truck so will probably need new shocks.

Thanks for your advice.

Been looking at these on eBay. Image1476331777.447728.jpg

Sent from San Antonio, Texas

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm partial to Bilsteins, I have SRT spec stuff in both of mine.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Bilsteins will help control the ride. However at the end of the day it's still your rear springs that are the stiff part of the setup when unloaded and giving you the issues. If you really want to soften it up your best bet would either be lighter springs and then installing air bags for when you are loaded. Or swapping to air suspension all together.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I replaced my front struts with the bilstein 5100's and was impressed with them over the factory ones. I had the rough country ones on the rear that came with the lift and never liked them at all so I got the 5100's for the rear since I was really happy with the front. Night and day difference. The rear never seemed to respond to bumps in the road right with the rough country and would hop around all over the place. The bilsteins corrected that big time. I know our front ends are different but thought I'd share about the rear shocks since they're similar with leaf springs and all.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Shocks do not do much, if the springs never compress.
Air down your tires slightly. Allow that rubber to absorb of the roads imperfections.
I had a 199 heavy duty 2500 quad cab V-100 long box 4X4 and thought it rode great. Much better than this squishy water balloon 1500. Why I changed springs and shocks, PDQ, after buying it.

Air down your tires, toss 400-500lbs of sandin your truck bed and see who it rides then.

FWIW, Always thought Monroe's gave a much smoother ride than Gabriels. Fox or Rancho. Love my Billsteins though.

Now, I would have to say my preference is Bilsteins, Monroes, Gabriels, Fox, then ranchos. But i am not big on 4 wheeling either.