Brake pedal moves side to side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

patrapper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2006 quad cab and as the title says, my brake pedal moves side to side up to three inches.
The dealer says a bushing is needed and I can get it at cost+10.

anyone else have this problem? Is it something I can do?
The black yoke at the end of the pedal arm rotates around the crome-colored shaft

dodgebrake_zpscf9e6f6f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Bushing has worn out. This is normal wear and tear, that everyone will see eventually.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I've never heard of this being a problem. I would say if you can't fix it then get the bushing being offered and fix it. Good luck...

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My SRT-10 developed the same problem.
Extended warranty took care of that.

OP
OP
P

patrapper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My son works at a Dodge dealer part time as a lot attendant while at school. Only one of the mechanics had heard of the problem, none of them had fixed it. Dodge says it is the bushing and they printed out a schematic of the linkage. I'm pretty good with a wrench, just trying to find some one who has done it and knows the tricks.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
It should be simple. Just unbolt the pedal assembly replace the bushing and then reinstall the assembly. You should be able to see the bolts. Just make sure that you mark the position of the bolts and brackets if they have adjustments in the bolt holes.

Bulwinkle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
2006 Ram 1500 5.7 with the electric pedal adjustment.

Update on this problem: PATRAPPER describes sideways movement in the brake pedal on the adjustable height, electric pedal adjustment shaft. There was a kit by MOPAR to fix this but it has been Discontinued. In fact, all of the parts, motor, gear etc., for 3rd Gen truck for the electric adjustment pedal have been discontinued.

Will make the part to fix this myself but:

Does anyone know exactly how to remove the adjustment cable from the little worm gear box at the rear of this hollow, round shaft (the pedal slides up and down on). No instructions in the shop manual.....

Alternatively, does anyone have a set of instructions for the bushing rebuild kit or know exactly how to disassemble this?

Has anyone swapped out the electric pedal for manual pedal on this.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Jeez, I have the electric pedal so this is what I have to look forward to? Good luck with your fix and keep us posted (please) Thanks