Broke Vent line to fuel filler neck during pump install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johndeere

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Guys My first post to the forums, and pleased to be here... My fuel pump just failed in the Ghetto and got stuck on the side of the road this weekend, so I found the fuel pump was bad. No sound no pressure, relays were good. So I bought a new one and as I was getting ready to drop the tank:

I cracked the little white vent line nipple on the tank. It eventually runs parallel to the fuel filler neck.

My questions is, If its just gases that escape from there Im ok, but if its fuel, I dont want a mess. So I ended up just getting some cpvc cement and duck taped the nipple back on and reconnected the line. It will be ok as long as there isnt any gas coming out when I fill up or go down hills, etc.. Does anyone have experience with this? Will I be ok with this fix?

Any help would be appreciated..

Mike

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have fixed one of these before by inserting a drill bit (to keep the air flow) into it, and epoxied a roughed up surface on the outside. Worked flawlessly.

OP
OP
J

johndeere

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cool thanks. I have a little steel tube on the inside but I cant say its perfectly secure, just didnt want the glue to get inside and clog it.

So on a full tank downhill do you think it would start leaking from that area at all?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's possible. But likely the amount of fuel that would seep out would evap before anything could happen.

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get yourself a plastic welder from Harbor Freight and weld it. It'll hold better and last longer than glue.

OP
OP
J

johndeere

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea thats not an option for me. Being in the electrical field, Im not too confortable bringing in aux electronics, specifically ones that introduce heat, and possible static to a gasoline drenched tank. If it were empty and i was outside and there were no vapors, then hell ya!

So I took the tank down and jb welded the sucker with a tube inside. And I also noticed there is a ball or check valve float in there. If fuel reaches it it seals the opening so no fuel escapes. Just a simple vent with a check valve so fuel doesnt go spilling out.

Thanks...