Buying a 2007-08 Ram 5.7 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lacoop91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thinking about buying a 2007-08 Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7 4X2. One had 90,000 the other has about 101,000 miles. What are things to look out for as far as issues with this vehicle? Chrysler products are known for their electrical issues & I've read about the transfer case on 4WD models but that's about it.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just bought my 2006 1500 SLT Quad Cab Short Bed 5.7L Hemi about 2 months ago with 176k miles on it and it runs like it's brand new. These trucks last a long time if they are taken care of properly.

Ask if the water pump has been done (should be done on hemis at 100k I've been told).

Ask if the plugs have been done recently. Also, check the valve cover gaskets and the rear pinion seal.

Other then that, just check for normal issues. If anything electrical doesn't work, it could be a bigger issue. If their is any clunking or clicking in the drivetrain, beware.

Also, make sure you start the truck ice cold, once it's sat for 5 or 6 hours turned off. Listen for any ticks, taps or knocks within the first 30 seconds of startup. Make sure there is no lifter tap or rod knock.

Also, check for any smoke (white, black or blue) coming from the exhaust

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have zero mechanical issues with my 07. Been a great truck. As far as electrical, my cruise control died Years ago...thats all I have had as far as issues.

The Body is the main concern of mine. These rust terrible in the lower door pinch seams and the bedsides above the wheel wells. If there is ANY rust in either of those spots its gonna blow through quickly.
If the truck is clean, then your first stop needs to be a ziebart or rust proofer. And I would undercoat and oil spray the hell out of it.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My 2007 was a great truck and gave me very few problems. An ABS sensor, a set of TPMS sensors (they get old and wear out, just like any part) and a driveline vibration that turned out to be a transmission mount.

Other than that it worked great and was a real road warrior.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
My 2007 was a great truck and gave me very few problems. An ABS sensor, a set of TPMS sensors (they get old and wear out, just like any part) and a driveline vibration that turned out to be a transmission mount.

Other than that it worked great and was a real road warrior.
You had TPMS?

OP: My truck has been great, only little things here and there. The driver side grab handle doesn't last long if you use it, easy fix though...

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've had mine for 6.5 years now and it's been great. Only issue besides normal wear and tear was a solenoid pack in the transmission went bad.