Buying Guidance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SamCassidy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everybody,

I am new to this forum and to the Dodge community, I'm looking for some buying guidance in buying my first Ram. Previously all I have had is jeeps and was involved in the communities and I'm excited to be involved in this one as well. I'm looking at buying a 3rd gen Ram, gas, quad cab. My budget is between 5-6k the main use of this vehicle would be irregular short light hauling and the occasional 400-mile trip between homes a couple times a year. What should I look for and what should I avoid? Any inherent problems? I've seen a ton of people mention that their engine has been replaced around 100-150k, are these throwaway engines or are they vastly repairable? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have 191,000 on my 04 Hemi quad cab with the original engine and no major work, just regular maintenance.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My 3rd gen 5.7L Hemi had 140K on it and was running strong when I traded it in.

Not too much to worry about besides abuse, worn suspension components and service history on the truck you are looking for.

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
My 2004 Hemi has 187,000 original miles. Still running strong with just regular maintenance.

I've heard the diesels last a lot longer but will also cost you a lot more.

I know in Central Texas you might be able to find a 4.7l V8 Ram for about $6k with high miles tho. Not sure where you're located - that'll make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SamCassidy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2004 Hemi has 187,000 original miles. Still running strong with just regular maintenance.

I've heard the diesels last a lot longer but will also cost you a lot more.

I know in Central Texas you might be able to find a 4.7l V8 Ram for about $6k with high miles tho. Not sure where you're located - that'll make a difference.

I'm located in West Michigan. I've have found plenty for my price point both with the 4.7 and the 5.7. now its just time to finalize on one specific one.

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I'm located in West Michigan. I've have found plenty for my price point both with the 4.7 and the 5.7. now its just time to finalize on one specific one.

I heard the third gens are prone to rust in wet/snowy climates. I'd check it thoroughly in every possible crevice for existing or potential rust.