Buzzing noise and overheating please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FloridaDodge67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 v6
hey guys i could use some help. My truck has started to act up the past couple of weeks there is a buzzing/grinding noise at around 1500 rpms and 2300 rpms as well as the engine overheating in stop and go traffic. I was possibly thinking the thermostat, or maybe the fan, but i could be wrong.

olbaid_83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
check your fan clutch....the one on my wifes truck has been going out for awhile now and it makes a funky noise almost like grinding brake pads.... could be that.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
if it is your thermostat it would over heat, but the radiator would be cool.

olbaid_83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
with hers i cranked the truck up with the the hood up and you could tell the fan wasnt spinning as fast as it should.... i did find this on another forum though.

Start it up and stick your hand in it If you just cut a finger but its still hanging on by a tendon or flap of skin and the fan stops, its correct for low temp operation. If you lose all five fingers and part of your carpal ligament, its correct for hot operation.

Just kidding. The way I diagnose a fan clutch is pretty simple. Start with the car off. Jiggle the fan forward and back. If there is any play at the clutch shaft, its bad. Give the fan a spin. It should move freely, but stop almost instantly, as if the clutch were filled with mashed potatoes. Start the engine. The fan should turn pretty briskly; almost as fast as the crank. Now use a rolled up newspaper to gently try and stop the fan. You should be able to when its cool. Throw away the ruined newspaper Rev the engine, you should notice that the fan increases speed, but not proportionally to the crank speed. The clutch is full of viscous fluid, so the air friction on the fan starts overcoming the friction of the fluid in the clutch and it stops accelerating with the engine. The fan won't roar. Then let it get hot. You might have to drive it around some stop and go streets to get it to lock up the clutch. Now when you acclerate, you should hear the fan roaring a little louder. If you stop the car, shut off the engine, and try to spin the fan, it shouldn't move.

If any of these tests fail, get a new clutch. Do yourself a favor and don't get a fancy HD or RV clutch. They lock up too soon, the viscous fluid is too thick and makes the fan blow when it shouldn't, and they're typically bigger and you might have fitment issues. Just get a good factory replacement thermal clutch.

BLKDODGE04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
i had the same exact problem you are having. put a new thermostat in, still didnt fix anything. tried flushing the radiator, didnt help either. didnt think it would be the fan, because it felt good and stiff like the clutch was good but...i was wrong. put a new fan clutch on and was good to go, never got hot again. i noticed before when my truck was at an idle and i revved it up it kinda sounded like the fan was disengaging or the clutch was slipping like it wouldnt keep up with the motor when i revved it up. with the new fan it really moves some air! hope this helps you out.

BLKDODGE04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
4 bolts and it comes right off, i didnt even have to take the fan shroud off to change mine. i have a diff motor than you do though, probably same concept though. 15-20 mins to change probably???

BLKDODGE04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
almost forgot, theres a large nut holding your fan/clutch to the water pump pulley, gota take that off first before you can take the fan apart from the clutch. it comes off turning it counterclockwise.
Google Image Result for http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7016/6753932329_4f4ceb5469_z.jpg
i had to make a tool to hold the pulley in place so it didnt spin while trying to loosen the fan. this is the closest pic i could find to give you an idea of what im talking about.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I made the mistake of buying Napa one for my Durango it was bad from the start had to go to dealer and buy OEM part anyway as the replacement was engaging all the damn time.

$miley

Last edited: