a/c compressor shavings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boxinggsxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
02 4dr 4x4
Engine
4-7
ok so i searched on here for a/c compressor replacement but couldnt find anything on shavings (since mine isnt leaking fluid) i have a 2002 ram 1500 4.7 xlt 4x4 4dr (not sure if its 2nd or 3rd gen either).....i took it for oil change and mechanic said i need to replace my compressor soon because it was popd out and throwing shaving all over the motor...it blows cold air but i havent used it since he said it could cause the motor to lock up

my question is 1-do I need to replace just the compressor (probably sell it in a few months n upgrade to a newer model) i didnt want to replace the entire system since im going to sell it....also since i dont have the tools to flush it a local shop said theyd charge $150 to replace it and flush the system and replace fluids is that a good price? 2- if i just need a compressor where is a cheap but reliable place to buy it (ebay, autozone?)

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
2002 is 3rd Gen... I find it hard to believe its throwing metal shavings on your engine and still functional...

It should look similar to my truck with different lights.

OP
OP
B

boxinggsxr

Reaction score
Ram Year
02 4dr 4x4
Engine
4-7
i can see the shaving on the frame top of the motor and it takes a few minutes to get cold (could be because its 90 degrees in south texas not sure) but i havent turned the a/c on in a while since the mechanic said that.....yes it looks like your truck

Attachments

• 02 dodge ram.jpg
    02 dodge ram.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 100

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
If there are shavings coming from the AC compressor then you will need to replace the compressor clutch and not the whole compressor. Some AC compressors the clutch can be replaced on while others you have to replace the whole thing. I bet the shavings are coming from the clutch itself and not the pump. If it was something internal then the AC would not work at all. Here is what you do: clean up all the shavings you see right now, put some black paper on the spots where the shavings are found, taping them in place. Start the engine without the ac on, and look for any new shavings on the paper.
If none then start the ac and again check for shavings while it is running.
I seriously doubt that the shavings are from the AC seeing as it is on top of the motor where any shavings from it will travel to the back of the motor due to the airflow from the truck moving and the fan blowing air through the radiator.

A link for you to check out: http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl249i.htm