A/c fan continually running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone know why my a/c electrical fan is continually running under the hood even when the a/c is not on? It will only shut off when the dial is turned to off in the dash. I have been told it may be my ecm. i wouldnt mind "polling" the pros first for ideas. Is there an open relay, or some other malfunctioning part to look for? I have a 2002 dodge ram with a 4.7 litre. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I think the 04 has the same resistor pack my 06 does. Sounds like your "off" setting has been arc'd.

Sent from my Tapatalkin' BB 9800

OP
OP
A

Adam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
clarification

I should clarify the fan that continually runs, is the a/c condenser fan near the grill of my truck. It runs first thing in the morning, even if its -15 degress celcius outside. The only time I notice it is off, is when I turn the blower speed dial in my truck off. I am concerned that I will likely burn out the electric a/c condenser motor soon. Any suggestions??? Thanks for looking!!!

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should have a condensor fan relay...replace it...sounds like it's stuck.

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
^^^this it should be under the hood in that fuse panel. you can take another one that is working and swap them to see is that does fix it.

OP
OP
A

Adam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Still running...

Thank you for all the replies. I have since changed the a/c fan relay with a new relay, however the same problem continues. When I got home today the electric a/c fan was running. Any help with this problem would be appreciated as I don't want to burn that fan out!!!

Thanks for your help!!!

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
if you pull out the relay does it stop running? sound like you have a short somewhere telling the relay to close. could be bad selector switch or possible the ignition switch. Not sure if the pcm has anything to do with it.

OP
OP
A

Adam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes when I pull my relay out it quits running. In fact when I put the relay in, the fan did not immediately start running. I thought it was actually fixed, that was until i got home and noticed it was running again! The ignition switch comment is interesting, as I have noticed that my ignition appears to be worn out. I am able to pull my key out of the ignition, while driving it. Do you think that could be causing it? A couple of times I have also noticed my main blower wasn't working, but then I would adjust the key a bit and it would start working again. Maybe that's the next step?? Your help is appreciated!

edhead

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dodge Ram
Engine
I have a similar problem with my 04 RAM 4.7. When the temp here in Phoenix gets above 85 the condenser fan will run on it's own without anything switched on. I discussed this last weekend with the parts guy at the local dealer. He suggested I replace the ambient temp sensor. It controls more then what's the outside temp on the upper console. It'll be hot enough here soon to know for sure if this solves the issue. It was cheap, $18 and easy to replace. Good Luck

jeff.leonard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I kind of hope this isn't the "answer" to your problem but you mentioned extreme cold so... I'm wondering if you are running your HVAC in any defrost position. It is normal operation for the A/C compressor and the A/C condenser fan to run anytime a defrost selection is made and the fan is not in "off".