Cab swap possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I might be asking a dumb question but ill ask it anyway cause I haven't found the answer.

For example say you have a single cab but the cab itself has enough damage on it where it would be smarter to just swap a new bare cab onto it, is that possible/ "legal"

Long story short, can you swap a new bare cab onto your truck and keep the original VIN you had before?

Thanks in advance.

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
Yeah its doable, just change the Vin plate over. Most are just riveted. Don't forget there is one also on either the drivers door or on the cab behind the door.

OP
OP
BWC

BWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yeah its doable, just change the Vin plate over. Most are just riveted. Don't forget there is one also on either the drivers door or on the cab behind the door.

Ive been told most body shops have a tool that can change them not sure on the titling process and all passed that

Do you know about the legal stuff?

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
Honestly I wouldnt worry about it. As long as the Vin matches the title nobody is going to know otherwise. My family owns a salvage yard and we sell this stuff all the time. Lol

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly I wouldnt worry about it. As long as the Vin matches the title nobody is going to know otherwise. My family owns a salvage yard and we sell this stuff all the time. Lol

^This.

As long as you swap the VIN plates and data plates, you're fine.

OP
OP
BWC

BWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Okay great my next question is on single cabs where is the vin tag besides the dash one?

And what if the new cab is a different color than the original?

Thanks I appreciate the info so far

derekp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1990 5.9 Cummins
Okay great my next question is on single cabs where is the vin tag besides the dash one?

And what if the new cab is a different color than the original?

Thanks I appreciate the info so far

Should still be on the drivers door or on the cab wall. Color doesn't matter. People can paint their vehicles. Lol mine was dark silver originally and now it's bedlined navy blue. :roflsquared:

OP
OP
BWC

BWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Should still be on the drivers door or on the cab wall. Color doesn't matter. People can paint their vehicles. Lol mine was dark silver originally and now it's bedlined navy blue. :roflsquared:

Hopefully not the door cause its been replaced haha so how do you change your registration to the correct color?