Calibrating Speedometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TopBanana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L CTD
I've got an '05 2500 CTD 4WD w/ 315/70/17's on it. I purchased a Smarty Jr. which has the ability to adjust tire size. I changed the tire height to 34.4 when I installed the tires and assumed it was good. Fast forward to when GPS is available on your phone and it says my speedo is reading ~15% fast. I adjusted up the tire size by like 1.5" (can't remember exactly) to slow down the speedo and it only made a minor difference...now reads ~10% fast.

So do I have the right idea here... i.e. increase tire height to make it read slower? Have I just not increased he tire height enough and need to add 2" or 3" more to get it inline? Anyway to calculate the right number so it's not a crap shoot?

Thanks in advance for your help.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Measure the actual height of the tire and use that? Does it take into account your gearing ratio as well?

MXM34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the Hypertech and just kept adjusting until it was spot on with GPS

OP
OP
TopBanana

TopBanana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L CTD
So did you keep increasing the tire height? I'm assuming you did not decrease it?

dterry2469

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Your on the right track, just keep adjusting the tire size until your speedometer matches the speed on a gps device. I dialed mine in at 60mph for speedometer and gps.