Cannot find wiper fluid sensor part

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey guys. My windshield wiper fluid low warning has been on for months, regardless of whether my reservoir is full of fluid or not. I had been using the RainX orange stuff for a long time, and I heard that it causes the sensor to get messed up, so that could be it. I went on RockAuto and ordered the sensor (using their selector and entering my truck make, model, year, etc). The part they sent me matches most Google Image searches for "Dodge Ram 2008 wiper fluid sensor". (The part they sent me is circled in red in the image attached.)

When I went to install it, the sensor that appeared to be on my truck was quite different. It is circled in blue. One portion of the part that was existing, circled in green, had the same fitting as the new part (which you can't see on the new part because the opposite side is showing in this pic). I don't know why RockAuto sent me this part (circled in red). I also don't know why most Google searches for the wiper sensor in my truck also shows this same part (circled in red).

I have no idea how I can go about getting the right sensor to my truck. The entire assembly for the sensor that was on my truck is circled in green. Can anybody provide any help to me on this?

Thanks in advance!

Josh

11025904_10106380001482704_3309892254876750423_o.jpg

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The sensor is near the bottom of the tank.. My light did the same thing when it was full.. I just pulled it out and cleaned the contacts and it's been fine since.

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The sensor is near the bottom of the tank.. My light did the same thing when it was full.. I just pulled it out and cleaned the contacts and it's been fine since.

I pulled out the assembly that was below the tank (that is what is circled in blue in the pic). Unless you're saying I pulled out the wrong thing. I think I got the right thing pulled out, it was the only thing on the bottom of the washer fluid tank. I just wanted to change out the sensor, since the new one was only like $1.50, but I'm having problems finding the correct sensor, which is my issue. I will definitely try cleaning the contacts and see if that works though. Thanks for the help.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Interesting.. Mine looks like what's circled in red. And ours should be the same since the same bodystyle

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Interesting.. Mine looks like what's circled in red. And ours should be the same since the same bodystyle

Huh, well that thickens the plot! Was one end of yours attached to something that looks like the white thing that's circled in blue, and the other end attaches to an electrical wire harness? Also, was yours directly below the wiper fluid tank (like literally facing the ground), or at the bottom of the tank but facing towards the engine (mind was that way).

Thanks for your help man, I appreciate it. I'm starting to think I might have pulled out the wrong part from my truck, but I just don't see any other things plugged into my wiper fluid tank....

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Haha no problem man.. I was thinking it was at the bottom and plugged in going towards the bumper but I forget now.. If I get a chance I'll try to take a look tomorrow. It's probably been close to 2 years ago since I had the issue.

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Haha no problem man.. I was thinking it was at the bottom and plugged in going towards the bumper but I forget now.. If I get a chance I'll try to take a look tomorrow. It's probably been close to 2 years ago since I had the issue.

Thanks man. If that's the case, it's possible I was looking at the wrong thing. I wasn't really able to even see that portion of the tank that was facing my bumper. Wouldn't you have to remove some parts to access that area? Did you have to remove anything to get to it?

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The part you have circled in red is right next to the part you have circled in blue.. It's in the washer fluid part of the tank that goes underneath the antifreeze tank.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
The thing you have circled in red is the same thing that is in my truck.
Mine quit working after using RainX washer fluid all the time, I emptied out the tank, took out the sensor and cleaned off all the gunk on it and been great since.
I now use the cheapest washer fluid I can find mixed with P21S additive for a clean windshield.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The thing you have circled in red is the same thing that is in my truck.
Mine quit working after using RainX washer fluid all the time, I emptied out the tank, took out the sensor and cleaned off all the gunk on it and been great since.
I now use the cheapest washer fluid I can find mixed with P21S additive for a clean windshield.

There is a thread going around on my Audi forum about RainX's new formula messing with sensors. Apparently the new formula leaves a residue that messes with those sensors. If you can find an old bottle, and a new bottle you will see that the orange are different shades. The audi guys were not able to simple clean it the actually had to replace it.

Such a shame, it was a great product.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine dash is telling me windshield fluid low now. Dam I liked rain x. [emoji35]

Last edited: