Can't find factory cup holder lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr_Nacho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anybody whose added some cupholder lights had a problem finding the wires that are supposedly prewired from the factory? The only harnesses I can find are the ones that I unplugged from the back of the radio bezel.

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
I guess it depends on the model of your truck. Mine is the SLT and I had the wires run there waiting for me to tap into them. Had I bought the cup holder light from the dealer I could have just plugged it in but instead I used a couple of LEDs I had leftover.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Usually the wiring will come with whatever model it is, base or not. Just because it makes it easier for the manufacturers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mr_Nacho

Mr_Nacho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is an SLT, just kind of gets off with me though, you know, thinking it will be a simple mod, but oh no, can't even find the blasted wires that are supposed to be there. It was prewired for foglights from the factory, this should be no different. I hate to go splicing into other wires back there you know? I'll have to keep looking.

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
I know what you mean. I was the same way. Even though I had the wires there, I didn't have the right kind of plug to plug into that harness. I must have taken the bezel off 3 or 4 different times before I finally decided to splice into those wires. But once I did, I certainly love having the light there.

For mine it was 2 wires that had a flat plug on the end and were fastened behind the AC controls if that helps.

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
for some reason they didn't pre wire them on every truck. The oem light isn't that bright anway

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the oem light for my 08, then took the dash apart just to find that it didn't have the wires for it lol

OP
OP
Mr_Nacho

Mr_Nacho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, got em put in just a bit ago. Ended up splicing into the orange wire with blue tracer that is the light for the 4WD switch and using the ground for the cigar lighter. Didn't use any wire nuts, just solder, electrical tape, and a few pieces of heat shrink. Yes Wendy, I know exactly how you felt when you found there was no wire, haha.

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOL yeah I was like ahh crap LOL

Glad you got yours to work. Definitely need them in these trucks, that cupholder area is really dark at night lol

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963