Causes of Limp Mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
Its really windy today and on the way home from work just getting up to speed on the 2 lane highway (60 MPH Limit) all of a sudden the lightning Bolt was a flashing and no power so coasted at 1500 RPM and a speed of just under 40 MPH to the next gravel side entrance and stopped. Turned the truck off and restarted and was good to go again. This happened once in the winter when my wheels where plugged with snow and Ice but that time the ABS light was on too. Same thing stopped and restarted and was good to go (except thawed out the truck in the warm shop).

So my question is "Was it the Wind" any opinions welcome, Thanks.

OP
OP
03MopaRamman

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No ABS Light and two new front 4x4 bearing hub assy's last month. Check Engine Light (LOL) is always on Lately, 0456 Which i am working on (leak in the fuel evap somewhere) and my P0300 (multiple Misfire) associated with my Cam. I did some googling and it may be associated with the Ported TB w/Knife Edge. I will check the connection to the throttle Body, but it and the CAI are new back in October.

Edit: double checked current CELs and those are the only 2 codes still stored.

Hemiguy0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 Boss
My truck did this once last may long. I was just like wtf and did a restart and its good. It also did it twice this winter when I remote started my truck in cold temperatures when I came out it was at a pretty choppy idle around 1500rpm. Maybe its the ******* child 2003's way of getting some attention.

OP
OP
03MopaRamman

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Normally i leave work like a bat outta hell but Fkn wind was brutal so i was cockroaching along. It was 62F today so it wasn't cold. Dunno. Prob one of those 03 things like you said. Thanks Brett. Dan any other thoughts on this?

OP
OP
03MopaRamman

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmm...very interesting. Have you put gas in it recently? Maybe some bad gas?

Cosco Hightest 91 Octane, but i have skipped my normal Lucas upper cylinder treatment every Tank for at least one but yesterday did a nice 120 mile HWY run at 75-80 MPH.

Hemiguy0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 Boss
Cosco Hightest 91 Octane, but i have skipped my normal Lucas upper cylinder treatment every Tank for at least one but yesterday did a nice 120 mile HWY run at 75-80 MPH.

Is that the **** that goes in your gas. If so its unreal. After getting 10 mpg this winter after my truck sat for 3 months while I was in Australia I gave it a try and picked up 2 mpg over 2 tanks with that stuff. Very impressed.

OP
OP
03MopaRamman

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, Add it to the gas Tank. Buy the Med size jug for 13 bucks and it fills 6 of the small individual ones that cost 6 Bucks each. Good savings and one treatment is good for 25 gallons so I put one per 100L tank. It seems to keep the OLD injectors clean and because it is mild you can leave it in there and not worry like the Concentrated Fuel Inj. cleaner stuff. Dunno about Mileage gains? but I like the stuff. I'll add some more tommorrow.

Hemiguy0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 Boss
Yep, Add it to the gas Tank. Buy the Med size jug for 13 bucks and it fills 6 of the small individual ones that cost 6 Bucks each. Good savings and one treatment is good for 25 gallons so I put one per 100L tank. It seems to keep the OLD injectors clean and because it is mild you can leave it in there and not worry like the Concentrated Fuel Inj. cleaner stuff. Dunno about Mileage gains? but I like the stuff. I'll add some more tommorrow.

I put a pretty healthy dose in 2 tanks. Truck ran smoother at idle and ran better on the top end. After those 2 tanks I measured a hand calc'ed 2 mpg. I finished that bottle off and I am half way through my second but yeah also my HEMI tick is completely gone when the truck is at full operating temp. It ticks a bit right when its cold but yeah way better. The lucas oil stabilizer my truck hated. I put some in with the oil as I was down 0.5 L of oil and it immediately ate another liter and the HEMI tick was worse. Changed my oil after that and it was normal. So the fuel additive is a win the oil stuff not so much.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
My truck did the same thing awhile back when the TB was on its way out. The elec side was on the fritz and would run great then pop the lighting bolt and either turn off completly or go into limp mode. Do you still have your OEM TB and im guessing your having the issue with the one provided by Moes from awhile back?

Torque

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had the dead go-pedal and lightening bolt with 1500 choppy idle twice on mine. Once while pulling my 4wheelers only going about 35-40mph and another time while romping on it to get onto the interstate. Both times I "rebooted" it and all was fine. They probably happened about 6-12 months apart. Neither time did I see any codes with my superchips. The 2nd time I took it to the dealership to see if they could find any codes I might not be able to see. They saw nothing.

Both times, I was running the performance tune (I have an old 3714) with 91 octane. I've been running the towing tune since (also with 91 octane) and haven't had any issues for the last 3 or 4 years.

I think it's a 2003 thing.