Chasing ABS codes (constant ABS & Brake light)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 2WD

So I've had consistent issues with my ABS system. Most recently I had codes that reflected a bad rear speed sensor and bad right front speed sensor. I replaced both and the rear speed sensor error cleared but the front right error remained.

I tried clearing the front right error code but it immediately fails and both ABS and brake lights on dash remain on.

This morning while driving into work I heard several error chimes. When I parked, I put the ABS reader on and there were 8 faults but they were mostly repeated errors.
Image1476450585.420745.jpg
Image1476450596.357132.jpg
Image1476450605.892818.jpg
Image1476450620.378984.jpg

Errors 4-8 just repeat errors 1-4.

Any ideas what could be causing these issues? I'd hate to think it's a wiring or short of some kind - not the greatest at troubleshooting that stuff.

Thanks for your help on this!

Sent from San Antonio, Texas

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I'd hate to think it's a wiring or short of some kind - not the greatest at troubleshooting that stuff.

Hate to break it to you, but I think that is where you are at. Chasing a wiring issue.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l

Ironically that's another post I started awhile ago. [emoji26] My problems never seem to end with this thing.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l

So I had to admit defeat and take the truck to the dealership. My right front speed sensor was giving an "open" fault so I replaced it. New sensor in and it still threw the ABS code immediately.

Dealership charged $130 for a diagnostic that showed the actual ABS module was bad. *gulp :-(

$1500 parts and labor later I should be getting this fixed. Part still hasn't arrived but may be done by Saturday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l

Update: dealership had my truck all day Tuesday to install the ABS module. When I showed up around 4pm (after dropping off at 0800) they hadn't even started looking at it. Brought it back first thing Wednesday morning then they called at 1pm saying they found a leaking front left caliper and wouldn't do the ABS module until fixed, I told them to fix it. Showed up around 4pm and they still hadn't started on my truck but "assured" me they'd get to it overnight and provided me with a rental car.

Now I'm waiting for them to finish up and give me the final bill. [emoji35] My fear is they fix the caliper, install the ABS module and still can't clear the constant ABS/brake light.

I hate going to dealerships.

Last edited:
OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Wow, I'm really striking out with my truck lately.

Dealership just called and the speed sensors and some caliper O rings didn't make it down from Dallas to SA overnight so my truck can't be worked on today. Those sound like routine parts that should be readily kept in stock. Plus the rental car they loaned me has to be returned today (they only cover 2 days).

Something that was supposed to take a couple of hours to fix, once the ABS module arrived, will now take almost a week to get done.

Yet another reason I don't like others working on my vehicles if it can be helped.

OP
OP
usocazy

usocazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l

Final update (I hope). Finally got truck back yesterday. $1800 later I've got a new ABS module, 2 new OEM front speed sensors, leaking brake line repaired and brake system calibrated to the new ABS module.

All that to get the constant Brake and ABS warning lights to finally shut off so I can pass state inspection.

I did pass after going back to the place that failed me and the kid working there couldn't help but poke me a bit about my rim "still being bent" after hammering a minor rim lip tweak back in place. [emoji35]

Last edited: