Check engine light on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tiger9297

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Not sure if this goes here or not, but tonight my check engine light came on. I'm assuming this is not something I can interperet on my own, and will have to take it to a shop to have a diagnostic tool read the code to figure out what is wrong???

scoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 1500 sold, 2011 1500 5.7 sport sold, 2016 6.7 2500 4x4 sold, 2014 2500 5.7
Engine
Go the freebie route first. Take it to autozone or advance...they can see what code was thrown. My neon threw a code a year ago and it was my gas cap. sometimes it's simple sometimes it's not but they can tell you what it is for free.

OP
OP
T

tiger9297

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
This may be a stupid question, but obviously I have turned the truck off for the night. If I drive to Autozone in the AM and the light doesn't come on, will the code from tonight be stored in the computer, or does the light have to still be on when they check it?

OP
OP
T

tiger9297

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Took my truck by Autozone this AM and they said it was showing a bad O2 sensor. I have ordered a delete kit with the H&S programmer. It should be delivered on this coming Tuesday. The kit will delete the cat and DPF. Will this O2 sensor come out with the delete kit? If so, there is really no point in replacing it if its just going to come out next week anyway.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
you could have also used the key trick to try to get the codes..........you get in the truck and turn the key from off to on 3 times ending at on without starting the truck and it should either say "done" if there are no codes or flash any codes that are there.