check gauges??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
okay so here is the deal, I went out to go start my truck the other day and it was -36 and i forgot to plug it in... it gets cold up here in alberta... anyway the battery was dead, just clicked. no worries just got a boost and was good to go. anyways i figured I should get a new battery, mine looked original from 04. everything has been well and dandy.
my truck though i have hid headlights, 2 amps, one for speakers, one for the sub and then i also have a double din deck custom made into the dash, so i have a bit of power being pulled from my truck, anyways so when i am driving i usually just set cruise at 100km/h and go. i have the music cranked and everything is good...until i get to a really "bassy"? song, my cruise control will just randomly shut off, my check gauges light will flash on and a beeping noise.. so i check my gauges and nothing seems out of the ordinary, volatage is still right up there, good oil pressure, and have fuel and well you get the point. im just curious as to what could be causing this issue? could it just be a shortage of power? should i look into doing the big 3 upgrade and im thinking a second battery? just any insight would be great, thank you all

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
New battery most definitely. If you can get one get the optimus red top. Now with your stereo you may want to think upon getting a high amp alternator. The stock ones do not put out enough for a good stereo system. Or if you do not have one install a capacitor near the amps. They can deliver amp spikes when needed. Just sounds like the alternator is unable too keep up with the stereo at those times when it hits hard.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Or in the worse case it could be the alternator.

No, battery. My 2nd gen did the exact same thing to me 3 years ago. If it were an alt, he'd be experiencing a massive voltage drop all the time with low charging ability.

And alt.s aren't THAT hard to replace. lol

AK_Armendariz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 L
No, battery. My 2nd gen did the exact same thing to me 3 years ago. If it were an alt, he'd be experiencing a massive voltage drop all the time with low charging ability.

And alt.s aren't THAT hard to replace. lol

Right I know they aren't hard to replace but when my battery was going out I had the same gauge problems and the code from the computer was saying that it was my alternator.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Right I know they aren't hard to replace but when my battery was going out I had the same gauge problems and the code from the computer was saying that it was my alternator.

Meh, the PCMs aren't always right. lol In his case since he didn't mention that he replaced the battery (that I saw) dated from 04, that's where I'd start.

OP
OP
Bigdaddycodes

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Battery is going out. Replaced it yet?

yes i just replaced it and it was fine for a day or so but it has started doing it again

New battery most definitely. If you can get one get the optimus red top. Now with your stereo you may want to think upon getting a high amp alternator. The stock ones do not put out enough for a good stereo system. Or if you do not have one install a capacitor near the amps. They can deliver amp spikes when needed. Just sounds like the alternator is unable too keep up with the stereo at those times when it hits hard.

the thing is i just got this truck like a month ago and the previous owner said that he had already replaced the alternator. but so i am thinking add a capacitor, upgrade the big 3, i want to add a second battery as i do like to run my stereo at parties because im young and stupid :rockit: and i have heard that upgradeing an alternator can fry the computer, so kinda scared to do that.

Or in the worse case it could be the alternator.

any upgraded alternators you guys recommend

AK_Armendariz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 L
yes i just replaced it and it was fine for a day or so but it has started doing it again

the thing is i just got this truck like a month ago and the previous owner said that he had already replaced the alternator. but so i am thinking add a capacitor, upgrade the big 3, i want to add a second battery as i do like to run my stereo at parties because im young and stupid :rockit: and i have heard that upgradeing an alternator can fry the computer, so kinda scared to do that.

any upgraded alternators you guys recommend

What year is your truck again?

OP
OP
Bigdaddycodes

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i dont have any codes though, as soon as it happens it only lasts for like 10 seconds at the most and then shuts off. i then hook up my code reader and nothing comes up

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Interesting, if you can, get your alt tested and go from there.

OP
OP
Bigdaddycodes

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting, if you can, get your alt tested and go from there.

sounds good, thank you i will try that, also i am not sure if this has anything to do with it all all, but recently i have noticed my truck is starting to have a pretty bad belt squeal, i dont know if this could affect anything, but is there anyway to pinpoint where the squeal is coming from, thanks again

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I knew it wasn't just the battery based on what he was saying because I have an aftermarket touchscreen deck, sub and amp in my truck and I know how it all drains my power.
And I know how weird, stupid **** ****** off the PCMs on these trucks. Been doing that crap since 94. lol
sounds good, thank you i will try that, also i am not sure if this has anything to do with it all all, but recently i have noticed my truck is starting to have a pretty bad belt squeal, i dont know if this could affect anything, but is there anyway to pinpoint where the squeal is coming from, thanks again
Belt squeal, we have a development. Take your belt off and start spinning pulleys, they should all spin with relative ease. Might be your alt letting you know it's going to grenade.

OP
OP
Bigdaddycodes

Bigdaddycodes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
perfect thank you, i will do that first thing in the morning and let you know whati find, and what if it is say an idler pulley or something along those lines, would that still affect it?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Idler won't affect it. If it's the alt going out, that's what might give your check gauges and likely for the belt squeal.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First upgrading your alternator will not fry the computer. An alternator will only put out what is needed no more. So if your truck wants 100 amps the alternator will put out 100 amps. If it wants less then the alt will put out less. Most people make the mistake of thinking that a vehicle runs off the battery. Well that is wrong. The battery is only there to start the truck and give out a bit extra when needed. What happens when someone stuffs a big stereo system in their vehicle is the alternator cannot keep up with the demand for amps and the battery is not designed to put out amps very fast.
A cap will over come the need for massive amp spikes but will not over come the need for constant amp's over long periods of time. A second battery is only a stop gap measure in that it again can only put out so much amps before it falters.
Your HiD's should not have any bearing in the equasion seeing as once they are lit and warmed up they draw maybe 20 amps max.
As far as alternator options here is where I got one for my truck:

Dodge Ram Truck High Output Alternators

I got it 4 years ago for the stereo I stuffed into the truck my daughter now has, and it is still going strong. There are other places that sell high amp alternators but you have to do the math and figure out just how much you will need. The stock alternator on a Hemi is around 140 amps peak. Which means it will put out 140 amps only when needed. It runs around 100 to 120 amps normally. If I were you I would get at least a 250 amp or better alternator to be sure that you are feeding the stereo what it wants at all times. Plus install a cap or 2 for your sub amp to feed it when it needs a little extra. Stereos can be finiky and are hard to trouble shoot if you do not know what you are doing. Hopefully the advice I am giving will not fall on death ears and you can get this corrected.

So here is what you need:

1 A new battery. Preferably an Optima Red Top.
2 A cap or 2 for the sub amp. 1 farad should be enough but 2 is much better.
3 New high output alternator. Just be sure to get the correct one so you will have no issues in the future.

Now you will need to upgrade the wires coming from the alternator to some good quality 0 gauge. Or do what I did and get some welding cable and use that to replace the ground and positive wires.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i dont have any codes though, as soon as it happens it only lasts for like 10 seconds at the most and then shuts off. i then hook up my code reader and nothing comes up

This is what tells me what I have told you. The alternator is not giving your stereo what it needs. Only way around it is to upgrade to a high output alternator and a very good battery. I have gone through this myself a couple times with stereo installs and it is no fun when stranded on the side of the road.