Cooling: is the stock setup ok? Anyone plumb a trans temp gauge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2k2wranglerx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was just wondering. My truck has the 4 coolers up front. Rad an ax condense, then 2 more I'd assume are tranny and power steering or oil.

Just wondering if these are usually adequate or if you guys usually go with aftermarket stuff?

Also, any writeups on trans temp gauge installs?

Thanks!

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
for the trans cooler some have move up to the bigger ones used on the 2500/3500. they have a larger capacity.

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've run a tranny temp gauge. Have a totally stock setup as far as the transmission and cooling it goes (although I do have an efan for the radiator). I'll occasionally pull 7000 lbs. plus of tractor on a big, dual axle trailer in the southern heat and have yet to see my tranny temp get anywhere close to what I would consider to be abnormally high.

I do know guys who haul fairly regularly go to a larger pan like the Mag-Hytec or PML with good results though...

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've run a tranny temp gauge. Have a totally stock setup as far as the transmission and cooling it goes (although I do have an efan for the radiator). I'll occasionally pull 7000 lbs. plus of tractor on a big, dual axle trailer in the southern heat and have yet to see my tranny temp get anywhere close to what I would consider to be abnormally high.

I do know guys who haul fairly regularly go to a larger pan like the Mag-Hytec or PML with good results though...

How hard was running the temp gauge. Is the somewhere to connect it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Good first hand info. :cool:
Thanks

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
I upgraded my trans cooler to the 2500 HD cooler, but I am running an aftermarket converter and didnt want any issues with heat. Temps rarely go over 170* which is good. Problems have come up with the cooler I run in colder climates. Originally Dodge made the 2500'd in 03 & 04 with a 26 row trans cooler (almost the same size as the radiator in height and width, depth is still the 1/2in or so). This was a great cooler and realy kept the temps down, unfortunately in colder climates where the temps plumits to the freezing/below 0 mark they ran to cold and caused the transmission to throw a code. So in 05' they switched to a smaller, yet thicker billet aluminum cooler. These cool down quite a bit but not as much as the 26 row one. Finding one of the 26 row coolers can be tricky though as the dealer does not carry the part number (at least the 3 I called in the area didnt) and order the billet aluminum instead. They are also rarelyin stock too.

For the gauge you can tap into a line, couldnt tell you which one though. I went with an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge, plugs right into the OBDII port and read the trans temp, engine coolant, and a slew of others. Simple to setup, simple to use and no tapping anything.

Captain McGillycutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Running an aftermarket sensor isn't really hard. On my buddy's truck we just spliced the main line comin from the tranny going to the cooler and put a T fitting with the sensor on one end and two barbs on the other ends. Worked great and took only around 30mins with running wires and all

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an 03 1500. But the tans cooler is huge. Almost as big as the radiator. Is it possible that it came with the big one out of the 2500 due to the tow package?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

2k2wranglerx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input guys.

I'm going to buy the autometer steering column mount and a trans temp gauge. I'll start there an see if it's even an issue.

Hammer_Z71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now I tapped the pan at transmission fluid change time, but it's much easier to run a T connector off one of the lines and if you hit the line you'll probably get a better reading than I do off the fluid in the pan...

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I am not sure about others but my 4th gen has really good trans cooling I have pulled probably about 7k and it stayed very cool even in the summer I don't think it ever went over 160 degrees. Usually stayed around 120-130 degrees.

$miley