Couple Mods on the way

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Old Red is dropped 3/4.5 and I want to change the rear a little. I don't currently have a notch. I use Timbren rubber springs rated at 630 pounds each. These work amazingly well and have eliminated frame bang. When I launch I'm fully down on the bumps and with Caltrac it's usually a good launch but the truck is not squatting. Actually it can't squat. So come a notch. I ordered a Mcguaghy's bolt-on notch which several folks on here have successfully used. Should be here Friday so hopefully installed shortly afterwards. I'm going to retain the Timbren rubber springs but mount them higher in the notch to gain a little more squat.

Dodge Ram 1500 2002-2008 Rear Frame C-Notch - McGaughys Part# 44013 - Mcgaughys-Suspension.com

Second mod is becoming more interesting by the day. I ordered a Reflexxion steel hood and of course shopped around. The hood price is reasonable but shipping is high. Found one in-stock in Richmond but it was $650 and I'd have to go pick it up. Found the same hood in California for just over $500 delivered to my door. No brainer right? So I call these folks up and order the hood over the phone on Monday the 7th. I hear nothing from them until Thursday I see my card hit, so I figure I'll get a confirmation number and maybe a tracking number. Nothing, I call Saturday and was told there was a problem with the order being completed and actually placed with their supplier. So I asked what is needed and got Oh nothing the form just didn't get filled out. I tell them it was complete enough that my card was charged. Give me a confirmation number. No problem they would email me the number. Gave them Monday to get everything straight, but no emails. Called and spoke to a representative he told me the order was placed and was to be shipped tomorrow and as soon as they got it they would send me the tracking number. Asked where it was coming from and was told Reflexxion in Tenn. I called Reflexxion in Tenn and asked them if the had a purchase order from the west coast company and if anything was being sent to me. Nope, nothing from them. Called the west coast backup and was told the hood was being shipped from their supplier in PA and was suppose to go out tomorrow to me. I asked to speak to a manager and got someone who said he was in charge. These folks are not quick on their feet. Was told the hood was being picked up by their shipper tomorrow and he would not identify the supplier and no he would not give me his home phone number. But that he would personally stay on top of my order and keep me informed. That's best I could get out of him. I did receive a update about an hour later. But I did a internet review search on these folks and none of it was good. I discussed these reviews with the manager and he acknowledged they have had some problems, well I promised him I was going to write a review and it was totally up to him what I put in it. I'm looking forward to completing this mod but I'm thinking it isn't going to be easy.... :Wedgie:

Last edited:

JamesRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOL that company sounds like a huge **** around. I would've cancelled my order and went elsewhere by now

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
LOL that company sounds like a huge **** around. I would've cancelled my order and went elsewhere by now

Easier said then done in some cases. They have charged my card and supposedly placed a purchase order to their suppliers. To cancel a order at this time there is always a restocking fee involved. When negotiating a deal with a company that appears to be or become unreliable I have found it is best to establish and maintain communication with the management. This may help in salvaging a deal that would otherwise result in lost of time, money and the part ordered. And of course the lesson learned is to not deal with them again. And lastly tell everyone about your experience in dealing with them. After all maybe they are simply incompetent and not necessarily scammers. Hopefully I'll know soon. :birgits_tiredcoffee

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Update: I gave them an extra day to get everything straight and decided I would start out with a email requesting the Tracking number. To my surprise I got a reply with the number. Looked up the tracking info and found the hood is now in Richmond. It'll be handed over to a local shipper for home delivery. Totally had a wrong phone number for me which would have been a major problem if I hadn't called up the shipper and got details of the delivery. So this is really looking more like incompetence rather than thievery. Now the only thing I'm sweating is the local delivery guy doesn't take a fancy to the hood or drives over it with his truck. :)

MoparMulisha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can't wait to see it finally delivered (in one piece of course). I can't say I would have completed this transaction with what was going on haha

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Why not a weld in notch?

Fair question. I haven't done any chassis cutting on a modern frame and I talked it over with the owner and friend of a fabrication shop I sometimes use for special projects and he recently installed a bolt-in notch and liked it. I had collected some odd pieces to build my own but with my friends recommendation and from what Fred has said about his bolt-on I decided to go with the bolt-on with the addition of a few spot welds. And that's another thing I have a lot of body/paint work done on the bed and tailgate. It has a 5000# hidden hitch that fits close to the roll pan and I spot welded the hitch to keep it from moving. The Hitch mounting brackets cover two of the bed bolts. I am totally paranoid over damaging that roll pan/body and it will take a major mod before I'll remove the bed. Sort of painted myself into a corner on this. ;)

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Waiting for the notch to be delivered today. Just got off the phone with the freight delivery service and they have the hood. Scheduled for delivery Tuesday. I was hoping for Saturday but that's not going to happen.. bummer..

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Spent the morning at the shop. I'm happy with the results.
URL=https://imageshack.com/i/nazpinj]zpin.jpg[/URL]
uu83.jpg

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Installed the OEM shackles, probably dropped another inch or so. The old girl is really dirty from the pollen. sorry..

Keep in mind the tires are 28" tall

n5yh.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Went back and cut a pair of 3/8" plates for the back of the frame and welded it all together. It's plenty strong. Spent the afternoon waiting on the freight truck to arrive with the hood. Finally called and was told the truck broke down. All BS to me.... Maybe tomorrow.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
The hood was delivered this afternoon in perfect shape. They shipped it mount in the factory box vertically strapped to a pallet. Paint time.... :)

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Here it is with the hood on.

rl70.jpg
o46r.jpg