Crackling/popping sound when taking off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Qcextreme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get a crackling/popping sound from the rear of the truck when I take off. Doesn't matter if I'm going straight or turning. But only does it at take off. The harder I accelerate the louder the noise is. Then it just goes away.. At 1st it would only do it when I was pulling a trailer, (thought it was my trailer making the noise) Been doing it for a couple weeks now.. I put a 3" lift on the truck 2 days ago and now it's doing it all the time.. Exact same noise I had when pulling trailer.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
The first thing that comes to mind is a bad universal joint. You might want to inspect the pinion bearing in the rear diff and see if there's any play. If those look OK then I'd take the cover off the rear diff and inspect the gears. Welcome to RF.

OP
OP
Q

Qcextreme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you, I already crawled under the truck with it in nertual and the drive shaft u- joints don't seem to have any play in them. Guess I'll pull the diff cover off this weekend.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you, I already crawled under the truck with it in nertual and the drive shaft u- joints don't seem to have any play in them. Guess I'll pull the diff cover off this weekend.

You can't really check u-joints properly without pulling the shaft out of the truck.I'd do that first.Pull it out and check for tight spots.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45