Cruise Control working intermittently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIGBREW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So yesterday my cruise control did not work. Stopped and shut off my truck and started it back up and it started working for about a minute and then kicked off again. Did not work the whole way home from work. Get in this morning and it comes on, I get on the highway set it and it keeps speed for about a minute and then kicks off again. Solenoid?

OP
OP
B

BIGBREW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, not at all. I did clean my motor last week.

dmacell1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 supercharged at 10psi
I had the brake sensor/ switch go bad and it messed with my cruise control. It did throw a code though. Can you see if you have any codes stored?

Here is a link to my thread...not sure if it will help any.
http://www.ramforum.com/f45/p0572_code-45020/

Last edited:

WulfGang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got stuck this past winter.

Had to rock it back & forth a few times.

Well, my check engine light came on while I was doing this.

Then, after I got on the highway, noticed my CC wouldn't work.

Drove it like this for a week or more and all of a sudden the light went out and the CC worked again.

dunno

*shrug*

OP
OP
B

BIGBREW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No codes. I worked again the other day all the way to and from work, this am it worked for a little bit and it stopped. I am paying attention to the weather. Might be kicking off when it is wet out. Will keep posted. Going to give the solenoid a shot with WD40 tonight and see if it is a water thing.

jessegreer1017

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same problem in my '07. I would move the steering wheel up and down and that (I thought) sometimes affected it. A little while longer and my speed sensor went out, as soon as I replaced that Ive never had a problem since. I would look into that, really cheap and easy fix. Good luck man.

OP
OP
B

BIGBREW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is that located in the tranny?

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe the hub assembly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldhdrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings
Good morning.
New guy here just this morning.
I'm having same problem with '04 3500 dsl that I just picked up. Set cruise and in a few seconds or a lil longer it just shuts down. Can folks that resolved the problem please post their resolutions? I'll start with easiest/cheapest first and go from there. Thanks. Vince

OP
OP
B

BIGBREW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I sprayed my cruise control solenoid with some WD40. Worked perfect since.

Pmhorstman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great post.

I got a Crazy cruise control problem too!

PLEASE HELP!

I have a 2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4.7 4WD

I recently moved from FL to TX. I towed a loaded down 6x12 U-Haul trailer. The cruise control worked perfect for more than half the trip. After a regular stop for gas I got back on the highway and the cruise control stopped working properly. When I push the CRUISE ON/OFF button the dash light that says CRUISE would light, but when I push the SET button it would not set the speed.

I know most often this is the result of a vacuum leak; I've triple checked, I do not have a vacuum leak. Through hours of research I learned the brake switches can go faulty. I lifted up on the pedal to make sure it was causing the cruise control the think the pedal was being slightly pushed, no effect. I then checked the cruise control unit itself, some other posts said their servos got stuck. None of my servos were rusted or stuck.

I do not know if it was a result of this check or coincidence but now when I push the CRUISE ON/OFF button it only stays on for a few seconds, sometimes it's on for two seconds sometimes it's on for longer, but it always goes out. Once it goes out it will not come back on until I shut the truck off and start it again.

Someone said the brake switch supplies some power to the unit somehow so I replaced it to be sure, again not effect. I've taken the steering covers off to check for cut or shorted out wires, everything looks good.

I can't think if any other ideas.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS!!!