CV Axle Stub/Intermediate Shaft stripped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nogoal9932

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

Have done quite a bit of research on the topic, and am still trying to learn it.

Basically, my front passenger side CV axle is loose, and has a good bit of play. Where the very inside part of the CV axle ties into the differential, I can see where the splines are all stripped. I'm pretty sure this is the Stub/Intermediate shaft that I need to replace? I have attached pictures, the splined part is what I believe needs to be replaced.

Here's my questions...this is indeed referred to as the stub or intermediate shaft, correct? I'm having a hard time finding one that doesn't say its for the drivers side. Is there actually a difference? Would this be the only part I should need? I plan on taking it to a shop, but I was told by 2 shops now that they can not find the part.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• 20161201_112516.jpg
    20161201_112516.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20161201_112525.jpg
    20161201_112525.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 59

Ajwalk2008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran into the same issue with my Dakota when I had it bought a new axel stub and didn't have a problem again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c19o

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Subscribed. Having an issue getting my stub shaft/ cv out.

Jim_Thurston

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your lucky you have an 05 and it's replaceable. I have a 2013 and they changed the front diff in 2012 and now only the driver side is replaceable. My passenger side had some play in it at 60000klm and dodge had to replace the entire front axle assembly under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

Nogoal9932

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the help guys. For future references I'll document my experience...

It was indeed the passenger side stub shaft. Bought a new one at rockauto (thanks for the link) for 35 bucks. Took it to a mechanic, since I'm out of town, and had him replace it....as well as the CV axle on that side, as those splines were looking stripped. Guy charged me 300 for both replacements, and the cv axle itself...thought that was fair.

Riding like a champ now.

Thanks for the help all.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Thanks for all the help guys. For future references I'll document my experience...

It was indeed the passenger side stub shaft. Bought a new one at rockauto (thanks for the link) for 35 bucks. Took it to a mechanic, since I'm out of town, and had him replace it....as well as the CV axle on that side, as those splines were looking stripped. Guy charged me 300 for both replacements, and the cv axle itself...thought that was fair.

Riding like a champ now.

Thanks for the help all.
Sorry didn't see this earlier I'm not getting notifications for some reason, I've been through this on mine too, had to do both sides as the passenger side was stripped already and drivers side stripped when I tried to use four wheel in a snowstorm not knowing before hand. I got my parts at Napa ad they were within a dollar or so of Rockauto and I didn't have to wait, after failing with a slide hammer i took the center pin out (held in with a crush sleeve) to move the stub shafts in and remove the spring clips holding them in then they slide right out.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk