dealer woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badfish888

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 hemi express
Engine
5.7L Hemi
well i call the dealer my lil sister works at and talked to some lady, converstaion went like this,

"good morning, i need a trans service done on a 2004 ram 1500 auto 4x4. i need a pan drop and a filter change, not a flush"
--"i dont know what that is, but i assure you the flush is what you need, it puts all new fluid into the trans, what you want leaves some old fluid in"

"do you change the filter?"
--"no no need to"
"so you going to push pressurized fluid through a old dirty filter element untill it comes out clean?, possible ruining the filter?"
--"it wont ruin it"
" o yeah, how can you tell without pulling the pan"?
-- "our tech's will no"
"o, mopar x ray vision?"
--"im not sure how they do it, but they might do it that way"

i hung up after that and called my sister at her other job

"dont talk to her, ask for pete, shees a ********

i called back and asked for pete

told him what i wanted............"bring it down weel take it right in"

$95 for a pan drop and filter change. but my concern is why the truck was on the lift they called to tell my my tierod ends were going bad. and asked to fix em for 200 a side, i said no thanks just the trans service.

now 12k miles ago when i got bolth front hubs done at a dealer in jersey, they told me the same thing. ive rotated the tires twice since jersey, and i check that stuff, there rusty but i park 5 ft from the ocean at work, the boots arent torn, they dont rattle, theres no play in them, truck tracks striaght...................wtf any other reason they might be (goin bad)???

Burntfire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as I know.. Rams are known to screw up the tie rods. Just had to replace mine at 60k miles.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
I had to do mine last year and just chalked it up to when I had the level on it stressed them.

amenges

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
76K on my 08 and they have told me that they needed replaced, twice on each side. The first time I replaced both sides (at different times) I think my first tie rod was around 12K and the second was around 20K... Then at 40K they said both sides were loose again...

I just went with the MOPAR replacement.

BIG MISTAKE!

Mopar makes **** tie rod ends. The only other company I know of that made them for mine was Moog...an amazing company with amazing products.

Don't ever get the Mopar replacements and I recommend you do them yourself to save some cash. There are numerous videos on YouTube that will show you how to do them, and your alignment should be pretty darn close to what it was..

I got my Moog replacement parts from Advanced Auto Parts... If they do have other replacement parts that aren't Moog, I'd ask if there is a grease fitting on them. That's one reason the Mopar ones are junk. They don't even have grease fittings... If you do get other tie rod ends, and you regularly always have your truck serviced at the dealer, you will probably have to remind them to grease the tie rod ends, since the OEM parts don't have grease fittings.

amenges

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh.. and I never take this truck off-roading and I'm usually not on any absurdly bumpy roads. At first I called the dealer full of ****.. Then I did a little research and found out that for some reason Rams and Tie Rod Ends don't mix. haha. I jacked the truck up myself and sure enough, there was a little play in the wheels. I put the Moog tie rod ends at 60K and haven't had an issue yet.

HemiBabe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
yeah it might just be time for them to be changed

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i've heard that moog is better than oem

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had my tie rods replaced a few thousand miles ago when I found out my struts were blown. The tie rods were loose. I have a leveling kit tho, and the wear-out of all the front end parts was really contributed to that. If yours aren't loose, noisy, etc, I wouldn't think they would need to be replaced.