Decisions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ki4npz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In addition to a 2003 Ram, I have a 1998 Durango. Both have the 5.9L with the 46RE. A couple months ago, my daughter rear-ended a car while borrowing the Durango. Since then it has been sitting in my driveway while I wait for my daughter to buy the parts needed to fix the truck. So I've been trying to decide what I want to do with it. I only paid $4k for the Durango, and to fix it up to before wreck condition, its going to take at least $1k before any paint. I'm not too sure if its worth it. I do like the Durango a lot, but I dont know if its worth the money and effort to restore. I was thinking that I might just pull parts that I could use as spares for the Ram, such as engine/trans, and refurbish those parts and store in the garage...just in case .
A few questions come to mind. The Ram has an open diff, the Durango has limited slip. Both have 9.25". Would it be feasible to swap the diff from the Durango into the Ram? Oh, the Ram has 3.55, D has 3.92. Could I swap the limited slip parts and keep the stock ratio? If not, would the front IFS diffs be compatible. Starting to sound like its not worth it... Transfer cases...both vehicles have a manually shifted T-cases, but the Durango has a "full-time FWD" as well as a "part-time 4H", the truck only having the standard 4H/4L deal.
What would you guys do? I do like the D for a lot of reasons. That third row sometimes comes in handy. We went out to dinner last night and we were 3-across both rows in the truck, so a little crowded. I was thinking that the D would be really handy in that case. Plus I like having a spare 4x4 for the snowy winter time. I just dont know if i want to go through the trouble. The Durango is a spare vehicle basically. My wife has her car, I have my Ram, and the Durango is basically a just in case, spare car.
None of the repair work is especially hard (new hood, radiator, grill, condenser, facia, fogs, etc.), but the D has some other prexisting issuse that need to be addressed as well. Needs a new steering shaft, front steering/suspension could use an rebuild, has an oil leak somewhere, driver's seat rocking chair issue, etc.
Thanks for reading, hope it wasnt too long...

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
When did you buy the Durango, if I may ask, and did it need those other repairs before you bought it?

OP
OP
K

ki4npz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought the durango 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure it needed them when I bought it, but didnt notice it right away. The steering shaft (i'm pretty sure) is worn and loose, and cause play in the steering wheel. the oil leak is very minor, and doesnt cause too much of a dipstick level change between oil changes. I think the valve cover gaskets is the most likely culprit. Oh and the tires are pretty worn. going to be buying new tires soon if I decide to keep. (which is what I'm leaning towards.) The suspension rebuild kit can be had for about a $100 or so. The pre-existing problems arent really my main concern. the annoying part is how long its going to take my daughter and her part time job to replace the busted parts.

I suppose I could just buy the parts, and have her pay me back. But... there's a chance I'll never get the money.

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I bought the durango 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure it needed them when I bought it, but didnt notice it right away. The steering shaft (i'm pretty sure) is worn and loose, and cause play in the steering wheel. the oil leak is very minor, and doesnt cause too much of a dipstick level change between oil changes. I think the valve cover gaskets is the most likely culprit. Oh and the tires are pretty worn. going to be buying new tires soon if I decide to keep. (which is what I'm leaning towards.) The suspension rebuild kit can be had for about a $100 or so. The pre-existing problems arent really my main concern. the annoying part is how long its going to take my daughter and her part time job to replace the busted parts.

I suppose I could just buy the parts, and have her pay me back. But... there's a chance I'll never get the money.

My vote is for keeping it. I had a 98 for years, and the only reason I don't anymore is because it rusted to death and was far too gone to justify the cost of repairing everything, body and mechanical, that had fallen victim to the elements. I will tell you this, although you probably already know- The D is a tank in the snow. I never had a moment of concern in any road condition I ever drove it in. I still miss it. I replaced it with my 07 Durango which I expect to have around for many, many more years to come. I recommend Michelin LTX M/S tires when you get new meats.

If you haven't noticed, I'm a Durango homer so I will vote to keep it as long as repairs are reasonable and it's not a rust victim. The oil leak is probably going to be simple, and the rocking seat is easily repaired although it's a bit time consuming. The front rebuild isn't too bad either, especially considering the cost of replacing the whole vehicle vs. fixing that one (including the new unknowns of what may be wrong with the replacement vehicle).

OP
OP
K

ki4npz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, Im really leaning towards keeping it. I was just thinking it would also be handy to have all that spare stuff around in case the Ram had a failure, but then a spare vehicle is just as good too I guess. Most of of the stuff under the hood is identical I think. Plus I started thinking I could take that donor engine and build it to make some good power, and rebuild the trans to make it really tough. There are just too many things I like about the Durango. I'm glad that its super easy to find replacement parts (body parts included) and that I'm not stuck going to the pick-and-pull.

The bumper has a good size dent in it, i'm not sure if I want to have that repaired and painted, or order a new one, since its $99 (though the shipping is ridiculous)

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Id keep it. I always wanted a durango for a hunting and camping rig. I love them. How much is the repairs for the bumper vs $99+shipping?

Where are you located? If you decide to get rid of it I might be interested.

OP
OP
K

ki4npz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm on the other corner of the country, near Seattle :) Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to hang on to it and repair it. I have not priced the repair/paint for the old bumper, but I have it in my garage, so we'll see. Thanks for all the input. I just need to get working it! I also might consider getting an aftermarket/fiberglass hood instead of the factory steel, depending on prices--and if I cant find one at a junk yard in good shape!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dyadeta