Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 > General Discussions

General Discussions

did i buy a black ram or....the black sheep ?

This is a discussion on did i buy a black ram or....the black sheep ? within the General Discussions forums, part of the 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 category!
About two months ago i bought my black 02 ram 1500 . I payed cash and had a limited amount ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2008
Engine: 5.7 hemi
Default did i buy a black ram or....the black sheep ?
About two months ago i bought my black 02 ram 1500 . I payed cash and had a limited amount i could spend. I looked around for a couple months and this was the best deal by far in my price range but now i have a few regrets. First off i kinda wish i had gone yr newer so i had gotten a hemi . I like the 5.9 but what a gas hog these things are . This was the yr the 1500 got the new body style and i am finding that a lot of mods list there parts as 98-02,,93-08 . What about me ?? Haha EVen when looking for something as simple as a reese hitch it can be a chore . Having done some research i have tracked down some basic bolt on mods tho . In the opinion of this forum should i go cai and exhaust first or jump rite into a tuner? On another site almost 100% of the members say go sct while here superchips seems to be a fave. Would love to do a gear swap but at four bucks a gallon i cant afford the mpg hit . Its my daily driver and i have to feather the pedal to pull 11.5 mpg as it is . Any suggstions on such matters is appreciated. Dont get me wrong i love my ram just wonder if i got the wrong yr. Sorry for the rant but geeeez that felt good !!!

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
gesjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Super Moderator

Ram Year: 2017
Engine: Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Do the intake and exhaust first. That way you'll reap all the benefits of the tuner having them in place.

MADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Steven [TRIP/TRUP]

Ram Year: 2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine: 6.7L CTD
I totally agree, it's always best to add supporting mods first.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

I spoke with sean and hemifever and he suggested the tuner first. Of course i realize he is in the bizness of selling tunes . A good friend just bought an 07 ram, what mods do you guys suggest in order for me to to be able kick his stock hemi ass in our friendly but competetive game of "lets line em up ". Haha
Old 02-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

2nd GEN Site Mod

Name: Manny

Ram Year: 2007
Engine: Hemi 5.7
id say go exhaust and intake first...like mentioned above, when you get the tuner, your truck will already have the supporting mods for the full tuning benefit. Also, you mentions a gear MPG hit. I thought a gear swap was to help your mpg......

Bluesmoke91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Bluesmoke91 View Post
id say go exhaust and intake first...like mentioned above, when you get the tuner, your truck will already have the supporting mods for the full tuning benefit. Also, you mentions a gear MPG hit. I thought a gear swap was to help your mpg......
I could be way off base but got the impression lower gears got you there quicker but your also gonna turn more rpms at cruizin speed thus resulting in more gas consumption . Maybe somebody with more info will chime in .
Old 02-26-2012, 12:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Name: Nick

Ram Year: 2005
Engine: 5.7 HEMI
Send a message via Yahoo to 05singlecabHEMI
Originally Posted by Bluesmoke91 View Post
That depends on what kind of driving you do. If you do a lot of highway driving you want lower gear, and if you do a lot of city driving you want a higher gear.

Id say do the CAI and exhaust first then once you do the tuner you will see a mpg gain. Unfortunatly the 5.9 will always be a gas hog lol. I think i have the whole owners manual for the 5.9 2002. Its got every little detail about the truck. Its in my shop somewwhere...

55W Bixenon Digital HIDs, Retro shop projectors with halos, LED Switchback turns, Pacesetter LT headers dual exhaust flow master 40series dumped before the axle, raceland 3" cutoutvararam air intake, 1.5inch leveling kit, Dakota AT^2 tires, plastidipped wheels, DSP 93octane tune, rocket wire, aeroforce gauge in a SRT 10 pillar with A/F ratio, color matched gill, plasti dipped bumpers. Sonnex Line Booster, Bedrug, Extang bed cover, ground force drop shackles. 85MM throttle body.
05singlecabHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Originally Posted by gesjr View Post
I could be way off base but got the impression lower gears got you there quicker but your also gonna turn more rpms at cruizin speed thus resulting in more gas consumption . Maybe somebody with more info will chime in .
Higher gears is for low end acceleration. So like 0-60 times
Lower gears is more for high end for like 60-100.
So if you have higher gears lets just say you have 4:56 ratio going 70mph, your rpms will be higher then if you had lower gears like 3:55 ratio.

55W Bixenon Digital HIDs, Retro shop projectors with halos, LED Switchback turns, Pacesetter LT headers dual exhaust flow master 40series dumped before the axle, raceland 3" cutoutvararam air intake, 1.5inch leveling kit, Dakota AT^2 tires, plastidipped wheels, DSP 93octane tune, rocket wire, aeroforce gauge in a SRT 10 pillar with A/F ratio, color matched gill, plasti dipped bumpers. Sonnex Line Booster, Bedrug, Extang bed cover, ground force drop shackles. 85MM throttle body.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Originally Posted by 05singlecabHEMI View Post
Higher gears is for low end acceleration. So like 0-60 times
Lower gears is more for high end for like 60-100.
So if you have higher gears lets just say you have 4:56 ratio going 70mph, your rpms will be higher then if you had lower gears like 3:55 ratio.
So yeah,i did have that assbackwards in my mind . Never claimed to be the sharpest tac in the box . I live in the sticks. A lot of stop and go . Usual cruzin speed is 45-55 around these parts . Whats a good compromise between performance and mpg under those conditions or should i just leave well enough alone. Dont wanna spend a lot for limited returns,just wanna get up to speed quicker. Also have noticed when get into the pedal my truck cut out at about 5500rpm,shouldnt my trans shift before rev limiter kicks in ?
Old 02-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Originally Posted by gesjr View Post
So yeah,i did have that assbackwards in my mind . Never claimed to be the sharpest tac in the box . I live in the sticks. A lot of stop and go . Usual cruzin speed is 45-55 around these parts . Whats a good compromise between performance and mpg under those conditions or should i just leave well enough alone. Dont wanna spend a lot for limited returns,just wanna get up to speed quicker. Also have noticed when get into the pedal my truck cut out at about 5500rpm,shouldnt my trans shift before rev limiter kicks in ?
couldnt tell you the milage and what not cause its the 5.9. but i would guess if your doing stop and go and no high way id go with a higher gear.

unfortunatly if you plan on doing the
tuner CAI exhaust and gears, you probably looking at maybe $2k ish.

not so sure on the trans. but on my buddies 96 5.9 it does the same thing on WOT from 1-2. but then again the truck is modded to all getout and its not the original tranny.

im on the 91 performance tune on my tuner and i noticed a pretty good mpg increase.

Tags
5.9 info, 5.9 mods, performance addons