Diff Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Hey guys i just noticed today that i have a leak coming out of the plug on the diff covers, should i be concerned? the fluid hasnt built up, it just stained my diff cover with a satin black finish. what should be done? and should i change the diff oil?

any input is appreciated
thanks in advance
Chris

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you talking about the fill plug on a stock diff cover? Any chance it was topped off recently and a little just dribbled out?

OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
no it was not topped off ever, and yes that fill plug. it just started to happen

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has the fluid ever been changed? Nothing wrong with getting the diff serviced. Oil splashes around pretty good inside there. Like an egg beater. Could be a vent issue, or perhaps some water got in increasing the level. At the very least, I would pull the plug, check the oil for level and water, and re-seal the plug if all is well.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Has the fluid ever been changed? Nothing wrong with getting the diff serviced. Oil splashes around pretty good inside there. Like an egg beater. Could be a vent issue, or perhaps some water got in increasing the level. At the very least, I would pull the plug, check the oil for level and water, and re-seal the plug if all is well.

I would check for water in the diff. If you find any then check the seals at the ends of the axle and the pinion nut. Especially if your truck has been used to go mud bogging offroad.
Water in the diff does not mean you have to replace the whole dif if it still looks good, but it does mean that you will have to replace a seal or 2. If you find that it is the end seals on the axle then make sure the bearings are good there too, seeing as the water would have to go through them.

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
On an '04 I'd replace the fluid and check the vent.

OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
the fluid has never been changed. my dad and i will pull the plug and look at the level. in doing so we may buy a new plug and new differential fluid as well.

OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
could it have been that since i installed the lift, the small angle change on the rear axle tilted the differential and the fluid is now reaching the plug? whereas before it wouldnt?

OP
OP
LS5DodgeRam

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
yeah my dad flat out said get the plug until you come back in summer and we will get one of the mopar diff covers!