Differential opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am in the planning process for doing 4.56 gears and upgrading the rear diff. I know most people upgrade to either a Detroit True Trac or an Auburn LSD, but what about a Detroit Locker? Does anyone run one in there dodge? I had one in a chevy many moons ago and I loved it, never had any issues on the road or off.

So what do you think, should I go with a Detroit Locker, or stick with a DTT or Auburn?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
AHHH all about the same right ? what is the difference in warranty and price ? that is what i would look at .

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I ran a locker in my old chevy and the only issue I had was on snow or ice it would point the truck a little off line from being locked and of course it clicked when turning. I have a DTT and wouldn't trade it for a mechanical locker. Now, I might go for a electric locker.

Marx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L, 345 ci MDS
if its a daily driver and/or on pavement the locker might not like that. i'd go with an lsd type

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go with the DTT, it is the only one that I have never heard a single complaint about (other than that it is slightly more money than the auburn).

OP
OP
glass3222

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the input guys.

AHHH all about the same right ? what is the difference in warranty and price ? that is what i would look at .

There is a significant difference between a locker and limited slip. The locker, lock both wheels together so they rotate the same speed. They can unlock when going through a corner to differenitate the speed of the tires.

LSD is open and can lock if one tire slips.

I ran a locker in my old chevy and the only issue I had was on snow or ice it would point the truck a little off line from being locked and of course it clicked when turning. I have a DTT and wouldn't trade it for a mechanical locker. Now, I might go for a electric locker.

That is pretty much what I remember, I have not had a locker in over 10 years.

if its a daily driver and/or on pavement the locker might not like that. i'd go with an lsd type

Daily driver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what complaints have you heard about auburn? cause i've never heard one

I've heard that it is not as good off pavement as a DTT. Don't know if it is true but that is the main complaint I have read about it in the past.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Strickly heresay, I have heard the Auburn locks quicker than the Detroit. I don't know as I haven't used one. But it seems my Detroit locks immediately and I find it hard to believe the Auburn could be quicker. Maybe at part thottle off road, but again the experience I have had with my DTT is it continues to operated perfect.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Strickly heresay, I have heard the Auburn locks quicker than the Detroit. I don't know as I haven't used one. But it seems my Detroit locks immediately and I find it hard to believe the Auburn could be quicker. Maybe at part thottle off road, but again the experience I have had with my DTT is it continues to operated perfect.

It is hard to compare the two because there aren't many who have had both to compare them to each other.

OP
OP
glass3222

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I have heard the same thing, but I have never used either the DTT or the Auburn. That is basically what got me thinking about the Detroit Locker. I know it will lock up, but I have not driven a truck with a locker in a long time.