drivetrain vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mopar_man72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI MDS
I have a 2006 Ram 2500 with about 79,000 miles. Recently I have been getting a vibration going down the road. It is shaking the dash and the steering wheel. It only seems to do it when I accelerate, and if I let off the throttle it will stop or lessen. It almost sounds like when you are in too high a gear and the engine is lugging. I can roll down the road in neutral and bring the RPMs up and it will not do anything unless i put it back in gear (at a safe speed).

Any ideas what may be causing this? This is the only vehicle I have that is road worthy and I can't have it breaking down.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Bent or out of balance driveshaft or more likely a bad driveshaft U-joint

Get underneath with the truck parked and off, and just try rotating your rear driveshaft by hand, check for excessive play.

OP
OP
M

mopar_man72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI MDS
I tried doing that the other day and I couldn't get it to budge at all in park. I don't think the driveshaft has ever been apart on this truck. The front shaft I would rotate a little bit.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
a little rotation is okay, as long as the diff side of the u-joint was moving as well. it's play between the yokes that you don't want.

This isn't death wobble by chance? Is the steering wheel shaking too?

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Sorry just read that you said it shakes the dash and wheel too.

Im thinking maybe death wobble.. points to bad steering stabilizer and/or ball joints.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
This is the second diesel in about a week describing similar problem. Don't know diesels, but this could be a engine miss that is showing up under power. Good luck and let us know what you find.

OP
OP
M

mopar_man72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI MDS
does death wobble stop and start when you get in and out of the throttle? the steering stabilizer is new and I think they changed the ball joints back in November for inspection. I can coast at 60mph and it will barely do anything until I depress the accelerator.

do you remember who else was having this problem? Also, how do find out what model transmission is in this truck? I went to NAPA to see if they had the trans filters and they asked but I didn't have an answer.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
does death wobble stop and start when you get in and out of the throttle? the steering stabilizer is new and I think they changed the ball joints back in November for inspection. I can coast at 60mph and it will barely do anything until I depress the accelerator.

do you remember who else was having this problem? Also, how do find out what model transmission is in this truck? I went to NAPA to see if they had the trans filters and they asked but I didn't have an answer.

It was on either DT or HTC, it was a guy who was driving across Canada and was on the road. The transmission label is on the driverside of the trans a little behind the linkage on the case above the pan.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
does death wobble stop and start when you get in and out of the throttle? the steering stabilizer is new and I think they changed the ball joints back in November for inspection. I can coast at 60mph and it will barely do anything until I depress the accelerator..

Generally death wobble is triggered at a certain (higher) speed and sometimes by a jolt like train tracks. If you can coast at 60 with no symptoms but once you press the pedal is starts then it's probably not wobble. Especially given those new parts.

Maybe take this question over to cummins forum?

BlueRustBucket

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is your truck lifted? Any modifications to the rear suspension? If so.... you may have your driveshafts at a less-than-ideal angle. This will throw the shafts out of balance and may cause a wobble.

Also, is your rear driveshaft a solid tube or 2 piece? This will also have an effect on what it could be.

Hope it all gets figured out :)

OP
OP
M

mopar_man72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI MDS
I did some research last night and I think I have a 48RE. Will have to look at that at work. My truck is not lifted. It is still stock. The driveshaft is one piece. I put this up in the cummins forum, but I didn't get any responses.

OP
OP
M

mopar_man72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI MDS
Checked my engine codes and it is giving me a p0513. It's not on the list in the Cummins forum. What does it mean?